M1905e1 bayonet pitting?

PaulS

I found this Pal Modified UC made M1905 bayonet. It has what looks to me like pitting but has most of it's finish.Is this pitting? Why would anyone refinish a pitted bayonet?

post-9337-0-71464900-1526844601_thumb.jpgpost-9337-0-84595000-1526844616_thumb.jpg

I've seen these refinished over pitting before. Why not refinish a functional bayonet? It's still usable. SKIP

I've seen these refinished over pitting before. Why not refinish a functional bayonet? It's still usable. SKIP

Agreed

These were blue at one time and the early were bright.

As I recall the refinish were done prior to or for WW2.With the state of the military prior to WW2 its not surprising that a pitted bayonet deemed serviceable would be refinished and issed out again.

Really no different that taking the 16 inch and cutting them down to 10 inch for reissue/use

I seem to recall an old thread with pictures of what doyler is talking about. Maybe my memory is falling me here, but I seem to recall it being mentioned that the blades were getting parkerized as part of the process.

Also I've seen were people have used a cold phosphate solution applied to steel to help clean off surface rust and sometimes the results are hard to distinguish from hot parkerizing.

I just thought quality controls would remove pitted bayonets form inventory.

Agreed

These were blue at one time and the early were bright.

As I recall the refinish were done prior to or for WW2.With the state of the military prior to WW2 its not surprising that a pitted bayonet deemed serviceable would be refinished and issed out again.

Really no different that taking the 16 inch and cutting them down to 10 inch for reissue/use

Thank you for your advice,But the cutting down of the 16 inch bayonets to 10 inches was an approved modification. Do you think that this could have been actually issued during WWII?

Thank you for your advice,But the cutting down of the 16 inch bayonets to 10 inches was an approved modification. Do you think that this could have been actually issued during WWII?

Yes

Many of the Marines and others were carrying 1903 Springfields well into the early days of WW2 and it was a secondary weapon as well during the war

The rifles will be seen parked as well post WW1 as they were refurbished and stayed in service for years

Until 1943 all bayonets were the long variety. So if you consider what was used in the Pacific, North Africa, and Sicily the most common bayonet used was the long bayonet for all types of rifles.

To me it almost looks like a re-welded blade. The only thing that throws me is park does not work the same on weld vs clean steel.

That blade looks a lot like the shortened bayonets that came back from South Korea. A lot of the ones I've seen are really rough.