25th Infantry in Japan, GHQ Patch & Unknown Patch

bunkerhillburning

bunkerhillburning

Hey gang,

Am taking apart an album which was compiled as best I can determine by a member of the 25th Infantry Division while on occupation duty in Japan. There are a huge number of photos depicting the damage to Fukai after the 1948 earthquake.

While there are any number of photos depicting the men with the 25th Infantry patch another is unknown to me. I'm sure someone will know it right away. I've uploaded a very clear photo of one of the Japanese ladies wearing a shirt with the patch.

Also, a photo depicting a major with MacArthur's Honor Guard patch. At least, I think that is his outfit. While he wears the ' GHQ ' patch the ' Honor Guard ' patch is not seen about the GHQ. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

PS of course not one of the hundreds of photos is captioned...frustrating but not at all uncommon.

post-64023-0-17700300-1526840630_thumb.jpg

post-64023-0-81458900-1526840641_thumb.jpg

Jumpin Jack

The female wears an 8th Army SSI. I believe this this Korea rather than Japan.as the officer wars a United nations ribbon. Jack

bunkerhillburning

Would the 25th have been a part of the 8th Army at this time?

I know they were in both the occupation of Japan and took part in the Korean War. So I need to figure out where the Japanese photos end and Korea begins.

The damage to Fukai Japan photos I have positively identified.

bunkerhillburning

I think I may have answered my own question after finding this photo is the group.

post-64023-0-29841500-1526842346_thumb.jpg

The GHQ SSI- The members of the honor guard wore the scroll over the regular GHQ SSI. The GHQ SSI was not exclusive to the honor guard. It was worn by those assigned to the GHQ, honor guard or otherwise, like the pictured officer.

Interesting that the officer went all-out with bullion lapel insignia and rank oak leaves. But he went cheap on the GHQ patch. Those were so commonly made in silk,bullion, etc, but he went with a standard fully embroidered version.

The GHQ SSI- The members of the honor guard wore the scroll over the regular GHQ SSI. The GHQ SSI was not exclusive to the honor guard. It was worn by those assigned to the GHQ, honor guard or otherwise, like the pictured officer.

+1

Here one worn as a Combat Patch in the late 50s early 60s, maybe for WWII maybe for the early phase (Before MacArthur was relieved) of the Korean War.

post-1761-0-03059600-1404477965.jpg