Beautiful circa 1920's/1930's Naval Avaitor wing by WC Link

pfrost

A few days ago a non-forum member/USN wing collecter named Dave sent me some pictures of a wing he had bought. I think it is one of the nicest wings I have seen in a while. He said it was ok for me to post these wings for him while he tries to get his membership to the forum cleared up (if any mods can help, that would be great (his screen name is artyruhe)).

My sense is that this is a Link (or AMCRAFT) wing from the 20's or 30's. If you see the below thread (look at posts 20-22 or so) you will see the WWI version of the Link wing. There seems to be more than a bit of evidence that sometime after WWI, the Link dies were bought by AMCRAFT. AMCRAFT wings made between the wars have the characteristic "snow flake/sunburst" backing--though some other makers (perhaps Orber) also seemed to use these snow flake marked backs as well.

But this seems like a very nice and rather rare between the wars USN wing.

BTW the hallmark is for "rolled gold".

Thank you artyruhe for sharing this with us and welcome to the forum (I hope sooner rather than later so you can share the rest of your collection with us).

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/206492-2-sides-of-2-different-coins-wings/?hl=%2Blink+%2Bamcraft

post-1519-0-71126900-1526662366_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-39292400-1526662379_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Very nice.It seems to me that,for the most part,the older Wings had more detail and just generally looked nicer.I guess one reason for that could be that,during the Interwar period there was no rush to produce,unlike the War years when insignia was churned out.A kind of "artistic VS utilitarian" difference in thinking perhaps?

Jumpin Jack

You're right on with your assessment of this beautiful specimen. Gives me something to search for, and live in hope that it should turn up. Jack