USAF “V” + Oak Leaf Clusters on Suspension Ribbons

MrStiv

Hoping there are some Air Force folks here who can give me some guidance on this.

USAF regulations call for oak leaf clusters to be placed vertically on suspension ribbons, with silver clusters placed above any bronze. But do you switch to a horizontal alignment on the suspension ribbon if the wearer has earned the “V” device?

In the USAF Awards and Decorations manual regarding the “V,” it names several of the medals for which it is awarded (but not all, for some reason), stating it is worn on the “service and suspension ribbons,” and that “When worn on the same ribbon with clusters, it is worn to the wearer’s right of such clusters.”

So if I’m understanding this correctly, someone who’s earned an Air Medal (for which the “V” is now authorized) with three oak leaf clusters would wear them vertically on the suspension ribbon, but if one of the four awards was with the “V” device it would be positioned horizontally instead?

Thanks for any info!

Simply put, the "V" device always takes precedence when worn, so vertically it's at the top and horizontally it's on the left (wearers right). The Air Force limits four devices on a ribbon or medal drape when worn.

Thanks dewriter, but my question was regarding the whole idea of when to do it vertically. According to the regulations I posted, you would never do it vertically after the V has been introduced because "it is worn to the wearer’s right of such clusters," describing an horizontal alignment.

Simply put, the "V" device always takes precedence when worn, so vertically it's at the top and horizontally it's on the left (wearers right). The Air Force limits four devices on a ribbon or medal drape when worn.

It's worn with "V" at the top of all mini medals and full size medals. You can't have a "V" to the wearers right with a cluster next to it in vertical display.

Vertically it goes:

"V"

cluster (silver or bronze)

cluster ( silver or bronze)

cluster (silver or bronze)

You would center the devices in the middle with the V on top and then descending just as decwriter said.

Devices are pretty much equally spaced, vertically.

Just one note, though, the oak leaf clusters on the suspension ribbon of a medal are 13/32nds and cannot be uni-mounts.

The oak leaf clusters on a ribbon bar are 5/16ths -- that is if it hasn't changed in the quarter century since I last wore a uniform.