Memphis Belle WWII bomber that survived 25 missions over Europe is restored and on display in Dayton Ohio

ajbUSWM

phantomfixer

Shoo Shoo's nose art was repainted by Tony Starcer, during the restoration at Dover AFB...I agree she should be stripped back to aluminum finish, but leave the nose art alone...the decision to paint her OD was largely based on the condition of the original skin and the amount of replacement panels...IIRC...I talked with the core members of the restoration about this years ago...while stationed with them at Dover

pararaftanr2

My apologies for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I should have watched the original Memphis Belle documentary to refresh my memory before commenting.

Shoo Shoo's nose art was repainted by Tony Starcer, during the restoration at Dover AFB...I agree she should be stripped back to aluminum finish, but leave the nose art alone...the decision to paint her OD was largely based on the condition of the original skin and the amount of replacement panels...IIRC...I talked with the core members of the restoration about this years ago...while stationed with them at Dover

But if the original panels were in poor condition years ago, they will not be any better now. If the difference is to keep original panels and painted or replace original panels and have bare aluminum, I vote to keep as much original as possible. There is nothing like original.

phantomfixer

Not so much the bad panels...they were replaced...so you had shiny new panels and old serviceable aluminum panels...from what gather from the resto team...the amount of buffing to the old serviceable panels,would have been labor intensive ..so it was painted...

Looking forward to making it over to Wright-Pat again to visit NMUSAF. First time was in 1969 as a 14 year old when almost all the aircraft were still parked outside. I still have the photos taken with my 620 box camera of that visit. Have only been back a few times since then but each has been gratifying in terms of seeing the efforts of many to preserve military aviation history.

Here is a YouTube video of why they chose these markings for the restoration. There are 2 parts.

Frank

That explains a lot...thanks!

I hope to get out to the NMAF again some day. I've been there several times & I have a soft spot for the B-17s. There is a 3rd B-17 - an early "D" model under restoration. It will be something to have all three restored and under the same roof.

Tom

phantomfixer

As a tribute to the men and women that designed, flew, and maintained the B-17; it would be great to have all three combat vets together under one roof...in line, in the same exhibit...

post-155518-0-96484000-1527078507_thumb.jpg

I saw and took photos of the Swoose (and other aircraft) in the early 1980s during a tour of the Paul Garber restoration facility in MD, southeast of Washington DC. It was covered with dust/grime at the time and basically in (disassembled) 1945 condition. It was great to see the only shark-fin tailed B-17 in existence. It will likely be put on display at the Dulles facility once its restored...whenever that happens.

I saw and took photos of the Swoose (and other aircraft) in the early 1980s during a tour of the Paul Garber restoration facility in MD, southeast of Washington DC. It was covered with dust/grime at the time and basically in (disassembled) 1945 condition. It was great to see the only shark-fin tailed B-17 in existence. It will likely be put on display at the Dulles facility once its restored...whenever that happens.

This will not happen as Alexander the Swoose was traded to the USAF Museum for Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby. I personally think this was a mistake as the Smithsonian does a better job in preserving the original paint schemes than does the USAF Museum (who wants to convert the aircraft back to bomber configuration, ignoring the aircraft's true history). This is partially due to the fact that the Smithsonian got a lot of their aircraft straight out of service back in the 1940's and 1950's. It will also be a shame not to see a polished Alexander the Swoose parked next to the Boeing 307 at Dulles where it truly belongs.

I also think putting Memphis Bell on poles is a terrible way to display the plane, terrible. An aircraft should always be presented on its gear as it naturally sits. You could always create a lowered walkway below the bomber to get a view underneath if you need to. Poles are invasive and unattractive. Ok, rant over.

-Ski

p.s. It is a shame that the Memphis Belle didn't go to the Smithsonian instead back in the day. Like Flak Bait, the original paint would have still been on the aircraft today.....

They removed the gunner kills ?

PC BS.

Next the war didnt even happen.

They just made planes to fly around in circles.

owen

Garandomatic

The kills in particular were added for the war bond tour like the video said. They left the actual markings from gunners' claims.