What am I missing 509th Oval & Wings

Persian Gulf Command

Persian Gulf Command

Why did this go for so much?

Ebay # 183215777389

If a member here sold this compliments to you and no disparage intended!

collectsmedals

I was unable to find the group on eBay so I am not sure exactly what it was and how much it sold for, but if it is an original World War II 509th PIR oval and wings, especially if it is traceable to a specific soldier it can be very valuable.

The 509th was a small unit initially under the 5th Army in North Africa. Its members participated in the first ever American combat jump, the longest distance traveled combat jump (at the time, from England to North Africa, since broken during Desert Storm), the shortest time between combat jumps (7 days), and the lowest level American combat jump (the British and Russians had lower ones).

It was also a highly decorated unit for its size, with a Medal of Honor, ten Distinguished Service Crosses, and 74 Silver Stars.

Of course that is only in World War II. The 509th still exists as part of the U.S. Army today.

I have seen original 509th Gingerbread Men patches sell for over $5,000.

Persian Gulf Command

Here are some pictures from the Ebay listing. The selling price was $410.99

post-17994-0-20601900-1526519017_thumb.jpg

post-17994-0-22972200-1526519040_thumb.jpg

triplecanopy

It looks to me that the oval is correct for a WWII 509th parachute infantry background. The wings are a WWII era NS Meyer basic parachute badge. As to the value realized, it does seem a bit high. I'll bet the seller was surprised. That said, 509th ovals are fairly scarce in my experience. So it looks like the buyer got a nice set even though the final price was premium.

Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth. I have never put much value on the "509th PIB oval" as they seemed to have been in every single Patch King patch album that I've ever encountered. They were dirt common for WWII ovals back in the day as there seemed to be an endless supply of them among the patch dealers. When I started to mature as a collector and started chasing WWII paratroopers, I was surprised that I never encountered one of these ovals in the hands of a 509th veteran. The most common US made oval that I found in their possessions wear the black oval with white border ovals ascribed to the 508th PIR. Most of the veterans had theater made ovals and wings executed in bullion. Some were black and gold, others were blue and gold, but the oval borders were consistently trimmed in gilt bullion.

As for the Meyer jump wing- I'm had a number of those, but again, have never encountered one in the hands of a 509th veteran. I know better than to say none ever got one, but wing maker variations due tend to show up among members of certain units. To me, it seems that a WWII wing has been married to a WWII oval and sold as such. Somebody out there was just willing to pay a very high price for what they got. If the buyer is happy, then that is all that matters. I know that if I was the seller, I would be jumping for joy over that sale.

Allan

collectsmedals

My Father was a 509th WWII veteran and I have his wings and oval. Unlike the one in your picture his has a blue center but a white border.