USN - "BATTLE 'E' AWARD", Is it an uncommon award ?

dpast32

Hello Gents, I'm researching an RVN era U.S. Navy group, & I've encountered an award that I've not noted before. It's listed on the Sailor's DD-214 exactly as listed above, BATTLE "E" AWARD. From what I've been able to discern via Wikipedia, it is supposed to be very desirable, & the competition to earn one is quite intense, according to the article I read. I anyone has ever heard of, and or earned this 'elusive' award, I'd love to hear from them. THANK YOU

Best, dpast32

I have one..actually not that uncommon.

Just means your ship won the battle effectiveness competition. :D

"Battle Effectiveness Award is not a qualification award or an award for mere excellence, but an award for being the best ship in the organization."

I'm sure this will bring up some good stories... LOL

Criteria for the Battle E has changed a bit over time, but in short, it's being the best performing ship in a squadron (other units can get the Battle E as well, but I know ships, so...)

There's actually a revised instruction coming out about the award. How do I know? Because I just reviewed it two weeks ago as part of my current job. :)

The competition is intense, as it's a pretty big deal to get the Battle E. For the CO of the ship, it sets him above his peers as far as his fitness report goes. If he's a good performer, having a ship that earns the Battle E could potentially give the CO a leg up to get into the "high end" jobs and eventually make flag rank. Is it always a factor in making flag rank? No, but I'd bet that you'd see more flag officers than not who led their ships (squadrons, etc.) to earning the Battle E during their time in command.

As far as getting the Battle E, it's a bit more nuanced than just a couple of crews and some ships "duking it out" on the waterfront. There are a dozen (actually more) things you have to be able to successfully complete (or not go delinquent in) in order to even be eligible for the Battle E. Typically, the way the schedule works, ships are only eligible every other year due to being able to complete all of their certifications from the basic phase of training within the right periodicity, without waivers, or having waivers approved, etc.

Both times I've earned the Battle E, it's boiled down to two of the seven to nine ships in the squadron being eligible for the award. Then, it was based entirely on the writeup the ship submitted to the squadron commodore...ours had more "juice" to it and thus, we earned the award.

That's my experience with the Battle E in a nutshell. :)

Kurt Barickman

Yes I remember painting the Battle E on mount 51 many years ago. It was a big deal to us.

Kurt

I've got 3 from my time on submarines. As others have noted this is not a personal award but a unit award. The entire crew is awarded the Battle E ribbon if the command gets it.

I wanted to add there are many different awards that a ship can receive. The Battle E is the only one that had a ribbon award for the crew though. When we held one of these we would put the letter(s) on our sail while we were in port. We had all of them cut out of metal with magnets on the back to attach to the sail. We didn't do all the hashmarks like this example (each hashmark denotes a subsequent award). The large white E is the Battle E, red DC is for damage control, red E is for engineering excellence, etc.

Sail of the USS Parche (most decorated sub):

post-109234-0-89944300-1526501401_thumb.jpg

For an explanation of what each letter means: https://www.navysite.de/what/bridgewing.htm

Thanks for this information guys.

Q: would the following be the equivalent to what you guys are discussing and would there be a specific ribbon and/or device given for this award?

My father was a MM on board at the time.

"In 1965, under command of Cdr. Robert Weatherly, Dogfish transited the North Atlantic, and after spending several days in Londonderry Ireland, participated in operation CANUS SLAMEX. Playing the role of an aggressor missile submarine, Dogfish successfully transited the North Atlantic, deftly evading Canadian and U.S. Navy ASW surface forces without detection, and simulated the launching of her ersatz missiles along the east coast of the continental US. That year, Dogfish was awarded the Navy "E" for operational efficiency."

Navy "E" and Battle "E" are the same thing. If your father was on the Dogfish when they received the award then he would be authorized to wear the ribbon.

Actually... scratch that. I didn't pay attention to the date.

The Navy "E" Ribbon denotes permanent duty on U.S. Navy ships, aviation squadrons, or units (including construction battalions) that have won a battle efficiency competition (Battle "E") after July 1, 1974. This ribbon replaces the "E" patch previously sewn on the right sleeve of the enlisted naval uniform for pay grades E-1 through E-6.

So your dad would not have received the ribbon. He would have had the patch.

"So your dad would not have received the ribbon. He would have had the patch."

Roger that, thanks for the clarification.

Do you have anything from his service? I was a submarine MM as well. If you have anything from his sub days I'd love to see it.

I do.

Dog tags, a period Disney designed patch, a match book w/ his picture on it that he had made during a med cruise and his Dolphins that he had made into a ring. I put everything into a shadow box for him. I threatened to take pics and post them many moons a go but never did.

Also have a personalized stainless stamped ashtray and a cast brass ashtray. have pics of them:

post-8987-0-48809500-1526505315_thumb.jpg

post-8987-0-73818900-1526505325_thumb.jpg

My favorite is a jersey from the boats softball team. I like to bust his balls and ask him how the hell he ever fit into that thing. And evidently during spring boards and fall boards to Charlotte Amalie and Rosie Roads softball was a big deal. He says there was a pretty big, but friendly, rivalry between them and the UDT teams that were there.

post-8987-0-48692400-1526505877_thumb.jpg

NO PROBLEM at all Guys ! I'm fact, hearing everyone's comments & anecdotes are exactly what I was looking for. I've only located this Sailor's DD-214 recently, & have been putting together a service summary so to speak. He enlisted in either 1961 or 1962, & retired as a CPO ( BM rating ) From what I've learned so far, it appears as if he served 2 hours in the RVN. His 1st was as an BM.2, where he served as a Coxswain aboard an ATC, aka 'Tango' boat. Later, circa 1972 or so, he returned for an Advisory Tour with the SVN Navy. He later retired after making 'Chief', & from all the evidence I've obtained, he appears to have been an exemplary Sailor. ( 3 GCM's ) He passed away in 2006 due to complications from an accident, & was 'Buried At Sea', as per his wishes. He appears to be a true U.S. Naval fighting man ! There's a great deal more about him, which I'd like to share here once I've got everything documented & organized. I usually only collect R.I. related groups & items, but USN / MRF - RVN stuff doesn't turn up everyday. THANKS AGAIN Guys, I truly appreciate the replies.

Best, dpast32