GEORGE V MILITARY MEDAL VIMY RIDGE

BEAST

There is a WWI George V Military Medal for sale on eBay right now with a buy it now price of approximately USD2,248. The soldier was a sergeant in the 14th Battalion Montreal Regiment and was awarded the medal for his actions at Vimy Ridge. At the time of his enlistment, he was living in Indiana which is why I am interested. I looked at the sold prices on eBay and can't find any MM that sold anywhere near that price. Is this a reasonable price for this medal because of the unit or action?

Here is a photo of the medal:

post-203-0-25063500-1526308510.jpg

TheMariner

Certainly cool but not worth anywhere near $2,248, most military medals sell under $600 dollars and you can get them as cheap as $150 at times! If they are in grouping they can bring well over the $600 dollar mark but I see no reason this one would be worth to much over $400!

A Vimy Ridge MM has real attraction in Canada and can bring around $1500 without great difficulty, although that market has declined in the last couple of years.

The recipient's citizenship can also play a role. An American in the Canadian forces will bring a premium; a Canadian living in the US when he enlisted is viewed as just another Canadian, with little premium attached.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and insight! Jeff, after reading what you wrote about Vimy Ridge, I took a look at couple of other websites and now see why the Vimy Ridge connection can go for a premium in Canada.

• 2 months later...
SemperParatus

Certainly a desirable medal, but I would not expect a price tag that high. There are a lot of questions to ask, for example was the man a casualty? What other medals was he entitled to. It would be best to check the Canadian Enlistment Records to find out about the individual. I believe that the 14th CEF were the Black Watch of Canada, so one might expect a higher price due to the Scottish Regimental connection. There also may have been a Memorial Cross sent to his widow or mother. Vimy Ridge stands out in the Canadian War effort in the first war and if memory serves me correctly they had pilgrimages every year from Canada to Vimy Ridge where there is a large war memorial. It's a nice medal but for me anyway a lot of questions to ask.

Certainly a desirable medal, but I would not expect a price tag that high. There are a lot of questions to ask, for example was the man a casualty? What other medals was he entitled to. It would be best to check the Canadian Enlistment Records to find out about the individual. I believe that the 14th CEF were the Black Watch of Canada, so one might expect a higher price due to the Scottish Regimental connection. There also may have been a Memorial Cross sent to his widow or mother. Vimy Ridge stands out in the Canadian War effort in the first war and if memory serves me correctly they had pilgrimages every year from Canada to Vimy Ridge where there is a large war memorial. It's a nice medal but for me anyway a lot of questions to ask.

Thanks for the input. I reviewed his records and he did not receive any other medals. He was gassed and hospitalized however. He survived the war, returned to Canada and then enlisted in the U.S. Army.

SemperParatus

It would seem odd that he did not receive the First World War War Medal and the Victory Medal but stranger things occurred. Perhaps he did not apply for his awards. I expect there must be an interesting "rest of the story" from his enlistment in the US Army.