Mexican War head stone..or part of one

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Was at the Sacramento Antique Street Fair today. Totally missed this but my wife saw it and dragged me back. She thought it was creapy, I thought it was sad. Half an "official" head stone to, M. Campbell. CO I, 5th LA INF, MEX. WAR.

Looks like the sawed it to make it shorter. I didn't ask how they came about it, I just walked on. I should've aked some questions.

Why would someone do this?

post-9131-0-78878200-1526273755_thumb.jpg

What was the seller asking for it? At a decent price, you could have restored it's dignity by getting it out of the the "yard pretties" and displaying it properly. Interesting item. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

skypilot6670

A friend of mine owned a house that the previous owner was an early stone cutter and the various buildings had many early head stones incorporated in their construction. We always figured they were mistakes or broken replacements. Still it was a little disturbing to see them all around in different uses. It’s possible yours has been replaced. Let us hope so.All markers should be treated with respect. Mike

carthage light guard

Muirhead Campbell served in the 5th Louisiana. It may be the same Muirhead Campbell who is buried under a non-government headstone in the Sacramento City Cemetery. He was born in 1819 and died in 1906.