Flea Market MOH

Brig

Posting this for opinions on behalf of a European associate who found it in a box of misc at a German flea market. Let's avoid any talk on purchasing, blah blah blah, and just discuss the medal...again, was found in Europe, purchased by a European, and remains in Europe

IMG_4121.jpg

IMG_4123.JPG

LuftStalg1

Interesting, it looks like there is extra material at some of the stars points around the "Club" (as in cards) and the wreath. Maybe a reject? Other then that its very nice. Like many I looked at in the early 1990's.

johnnyrocket

Appears to be an original U.S. manufactured MoH. Everything looks to be correct from the images.

Wonder how many of these MoH are overseas...probably more that we think?

Back in "the day", these were $500 a pop and could be bought at most major shows. I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of them traveled overseas and ended up being disposed of in collections there.

johnnyrocket

Back in "the day", these were $500 a pop and could be bought at most major shows. I wouldn't at all be surprised if some of them traveled overseas and ended up being disposed of in collections there.

I remember in the 60s and 70s Mohawk Arms in Utica, NY and Saunders Military Equipment had a few in every catalogue they sent out.

Those were the days.

The items we could have purchased back then makes one head spin! But it was just common stuff and no one really cared.

So it is with life I guess.

It is strange how the small shield has no detail.. and usually the letters are very deep and crisp. Interesting. Could be fine.

johnnyrocket

Yes, I notice that flaw too...maybe that's why it was rejected...and found it's way to Europe? As "ajb" pointed out the lettering seems a bit less defined as I remember on the originals I've seen in past years. Also the fine pebbling on the field that the word "VALOR" is placed on seems not to be as defined either, of course that might be because of the quality on the photograph?

johnnyrocket

post-8038-0-49908000-1526265763.jpg

This is a center of a Army MoH...you can see the lettering is about the same. Although the articulation of the head detail (goddess Minerva) appears to be a little flat on the first posting of the thread, could be just the quality of the photograph too?

attachicon.gifMoH.jpg

This is a center of a Army MoH...you can see the lettering is about the same. Although the articulation of the head detail (goddess Minerva) appears to be a little flat on the first posting of the thread, could be just the quality of the photograph too?

Yes.. that is the standard MOH ... the picture at the top has no detail in the shield... and the lettering issues. Then when you add the divot... just all seems a bit odd. I've never seen a divot in a MOH... how would it get there?

johnnyrocket

The divot could be just a flaw in the die or something in the medal material (?) with would disqualify it for use.

that shield does present problems, because lack of detail (see attached image).

I'm having 2nd thoughts on this one—but still lean toward an authentic Army MoH.

This is a close up from my files on a know original from years long past.

post-8038-0-15162700-1526267088.jpg

Patchcollector

Not knowing much about these,I just wanted to make some general comments and observations.

After viewing the OP piece,my first thought is that if that is authentic then I think that our Government should strive to produce something of better quality for our Nations' highest award.

The clasps are horrid,and there is a lack of detail and,as pointed out by others,overall shoddy workmanship IMO.

Not sure if this is the current offering,but if it is hopefully in the future those that are in charge of the production of these Medals will put more effort into producing something befitting the Bravery that it is intended to Honor.Just my opinion.

johnnyrocket

The MEDALLIC ART COMPANY is the sole provider of the Medal of Honor (Army, Air Force, Navy). This company has impeccable quality and standards that are unsurpassed.

This is good, because in the past this standard was not as high as it could have been...agreed our military deserves the finest.

Patchcollector

I think that the best solution would be for our Nations Mint,preferably the West Point Mint,to produce all Medals(not only the MOH) given out to our Military,.The United States Mint has a longstanding solid reputation for producing outstanding designs,and has superb quality control.This would ensure that uniform and consistent quality standards are upheld without regard for production costs,which private companies must contend with.
I also believe that all Medals should be engraved,at the point of origin, with the recipients name,and serial numbered.Again,just my opinion.

johnnyrocket

I agree patchcollector.

The MoH is one of the least expensive medals that is produced for our military. I read somewhere recently that the cost to produce just the Medal of Honor Army is approx. $20.00. to $30.00.

Not to be sarcastic, but if the Government gets envolved in production, the per unit cost would escalate expedentially.

johnnyrocket

FYI:

This is an interesting article I found from ABC News on this very subject:

Medal of Honor: Gold or Brass?

How much is a hero worth? One of the nation's most revered medals costs barely $30 to produce; one of its least-known costs $30,000.

Sixteen lawmakers in Washington have decided to balance the books by sponsoring a bill to upgrade the Congressional Medal of Honor.

An inquiry by The Washington Times showed that the Congressional Medal of Honor, awarded for exceptional wartime combat gallantry, costs $29.98 to produce and is made mostly of brass alloy.

"Mine doesn't look good anymore," said Finnis McCleery, 74, of San Angelo, Texas. "It's tarnished and dirty." McCleery, who was awarded the CMH for action on May 14, 1968 in Vietnam, said he would favor an effort to dress up the medal. "I think it's a fine idea."

A bill introduced a year ago by Rep. Joe Baca, a California Democrat, would require that the medal be produced with 90 percent gold content, the same composition as the lesser-known Congressional Gold Medal.

Each version of that medal, awarded to such dignitaries as former South African president Nelson Mandela and the late movie star John Wayne, costs $30,000, according to Baca's staff.

But not every one of the Congressional Medal of Honor winners thinks the upgrade is a good idea.

'It's the Symbol'

"Not really," said George Wahlen of Roy, Utah, who won his medal as a Navy medical corpsman serving with the Marines on Iwo Jima in World War II. "It's the symbol of the thing that's important," he told ABCNEWS, "whether it cost $50 or $500."

Combat veteran Einar Ingman, 72, of Irma, Wisc., said an upgrade in materials and value "doesn't make any sense. I'd rather see an increase in our pensions."

Ingman won his Medal of Honor for action in Korea on Feb. 6, 1951, when he ignored a commander's concern for his wounds and stormed a hilltop, knocking out enemy gun positions and retaking the hill.

Another winner who would prefer a larger pension is McClerry, a Texas grandfather whose grandson is suffering medical problems and whose granddaughter is raising three children without a husband.

More pension money "would be better for each individual," said McClerry of his fellow medal winners. "I know I could use some more money."

Unfortunately in everything the government deals with, it boils down to contracts and taxpayer funds. I photographed the first MOH issued for Iraq and the quality of the medal isn't what it was in the past. Very few medals have exceptional detail anymore.

I also saw that article a while back. As to them being made of gold content, it's not the actual value of the medal in melted form that's important, but the heroism it represents. Some lawmaker was looking to grab some headlines.

johnnyrocket

Well said decwriter.

I don't think the reversed engraving is even hand done today.

Early MoH (reveres side) engravings were true works of art.

Unfortunately in everything the government deals with, it boils down to contracts and taxpayer funds. I photographed the first MOH issued for Iraq and the quality of the medal isn't what it was in the past. Very few medals have exceptional detail anymore.

I also saw that article a while back. As to them being made of gold content, it's not the actual value of the medal in melted form that's important, but the heroism it represents. Some lawmaker was looking to grab some headlines.

Agree

I don't see the quality even in the 1970s and later pieces compared to WW2 and earlier strkles.Not just the MOH

I'm wondering if the original one posted was from that batch that were from HLP or who made them that came out of the factory with out neck ribbons years ago on to the market?

Some lawmaker was looking to grab some headlines.

Yes... many lawmakers today use medals to grab headlines and claim solidarity with heroes... Thus the laws that confiscate them. But.. that is for another thread... LOL

Agreed on the engraving... And I think someone one here recommended that every US medal be engraved numbered to the original recipient... I like that too.