WWI US MARINE 73rd MG COMPANY PATCH?

Bellumbill

Bellumbill

Guys -

I have an opportunity to purchase this uniform - curious about the patch - I have been all through this forum and on the rest of the internet but this design does not conform to any known WWI USMC patches that I have seen. Does anyone have a 73rd MG Co. patch or uniform or WWI USMC indian head patch that compares favorably with the one pictured here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Bill K.

post-661-0-13502700-1526240866.jpg

Bellumbill

Here is another patch from the group that looks similar, but again doesn't seem to conform to known examples. That said I haven't seen any pictures of an original 73rd MG Co. patch!

Best,

Bill K.

post-661-0-62016500-1526241238.jpg

Marchville1918

On page 291 of the book Equipping the Corps by Alec Tulkoff there is a color plate showing a WW1 USMC painted helmet with the same purple diamond background as on the uniform you are asking about and it is specifically identified as being for the 73rd MG Company of the 6th regiment. I am no judge of whether the patch in question is genuine.

Bellumbill

Marchville -

Thank you so much for your response! I don't have a copy of that book, although I should, so I appreciate the heads up. Would you say that the style of the Indian head is similar to what is shown in the book? This is very helpful and suggests this style of patch may well be specific to the 73rd MG CO.

Very best regards,

Sincerely,

Bill K.

You cant compare a painted helmet to a patch to determine the authenticity of the patch. The purple diamond is as has been stated for the 73rd MG company of the 6th Marines. I would suggest you look over the excellent thread on Second Division WWI patches on this forum. You might reach our to Eric Queen as well (a moderator here) and ask his opinion. He has a good feel for WWI Marine patches. It looks as if the patch you are asking about is painted correct? I must say it doesn't look like a familiar one to me and I might move cautiously. Kevin

Bellumbill

Warguy -

Exactly - That is why I used the term "known examples" - I have looked through the thread on the forum many, many times and don't see it. The indian face has a very distinctive look - I might call it the "gorilla face" - and the bonnet feathers have little to no coloration, which is not typical. I am hoping Eric jumps in here, if not I will PM him. Oh, and yes, the patch looks painted to me. Whether reproduction or not clearly the patches were made by the same person, again, as the face is so distinctive. Believe me I am treading very cautiously here.

Thanks all!

Best,

Bill

Bellumbill

Also, my issue is that for looking through everything I can find on WWI USMC patches I haven't seen one 73rd MG CO. patch among them so I can't compare these to anything.

Best,

Bill K.