National Archives photo help

speeder3

I would like to print up a couple of photos related to the 60 cm gauge light railways in France during WWI for my personal display. These photos appear in the book, "Narrow Gauge to No Man's Land" and are attributed to the National Archives. I've tried searching for this cache of photos on the NA site but so far have not been able to locate them. Does anyone on this forum have experience with the NA photo collection? There must be a trick to the NA site that I'm not seeing.

Thanks,

Brian

Thank you for that, aznation. I was able to find some of those same photo files by searching "light railway" as well, but the one photo that I would really like to download never pops up. The photo I'm after is the one used on the inside of the front and rear covers of the book I mentioned. It shows several soldiers posed about their steam locomotive while taking water under a shade tree. It's a marvelous photo. I guess my frustration with the NA site is that there doesn't seem to be any easy way to search the subject matter. There are numerous file headings (Military Administration, Drills, Medical Department, etc.) that contain photos of the light railways, but I apparently have not been able to come up with the magic words that will lead to what I'm after. I suppose what I'd really like to do is contact the author of the book and ask, "what the heck is the file heading for that photo?"

The catalog referenced here is only what they had digitalized so don't be too frustrated. Still pictures are cataloged by index cards, quite comprehensive by subject matter with key words. Its an old fashioned system that hasn't been digitalized as a searchable data base. Its either you physically go there and search or hire a researcher to dig it up. I bet you'll find many other wonderful related images.