D-Day Helmet Grouping Navy Corpsman

Screamingeagles101

Congrats. Was watching this one. He was Foxy 29. It sold for $1000 I believe. The helmet may have been issued and worn on Okinawa instead of Normandy. No way of knowing for sure. I owned a Foxy29 helmet before and it had a red cross on it. Period photos also show the use of small Red Cross for Foxy groups. Either way, nice pickup.

In the Navy your field gear is issued and you return it when you get out of the unit. At least during my time. So using the same helmet in different theatres would not be unusual. In particular if you want one that fits, and is ready for your needs. If your in a ground or beach unit imagine having to get a new helmet for every operation or field equipment....that would be a lot of wasted time and annoying to boot. Thats why we have sea bags and issued items. Now if you change units thats a different beast.

Screamingeagles101

+1

Obviously not... again, I did not buy it off the daughter. I bought it off someone who bought it off the daughter... and then was given her contact information.

& just for the record I made the seller an offer while there were no bids. He declined. I got a message a day after saying he’d be willing to do my offer if I was still interested. At that point it was up to $84.00 ... was I suppose to say “no, it wouldn’t be fair and I don’t want to hurt the feelings of other potential buyers”..?

Let’s be honest, we all would have made the deal.

I took a shot and it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

In the Navy your field gear is issued and you return it when you get out of the unit. At least during my time. So using the same helmet in different theatres would not be unusual. In particular if you want one that fits, and is ready for your needs. If your in a ground or beach unit imagine having to get a new helmet for every operation or field equipment....that would be a lot of wasted time and annoying to boot. Thats why we have sea bags and issued items. Now if you change units thats a different beast.

Yes, from what the daughter said,

This was what he used throughout his time in the war.

Thanks.

manayunkman

If it sold for 1000 then that's a crazy high offer.

For a helmet and a back pack.

Scream took a chance as there is no telling what the history is behind the helmet.

If it sold for 1000 then that's a crazy high offer.

For a helmet and a back pack.

Scream took a chance as there is no telling what the history is behind the helmet.

Saw that also. I believe the original listing was at $80 or so.

stealthytyler

Exactly. He was assigned to Foxy 29 and issued new gear in Lido Beach before heading over to England. After the Normandy invasion, Foxy was disbanded and the sailors were reassigned. I would not be surprised if this helmet was only used at Okinawa. Of course, anything is possible. I am just trying to make a point that just because a helmet is named to a d-day vet, it does not mean it was used on d-day.

Obviously not... again, I did not buy it off the daughter. I bought it off someone who bought it off the daughter... and then was given her contact information.

& just for the record I made the seller an offer while there were no bids. He declined. I got a message a day after saying he’d be willing to do my offer if I was still interested. At that point it was up to $84.00 ... was I suppose to say “no, it wouldn’t be fair and I don’t want to hurt the feelings of other potential buyers”..?

Let’s be honest, we all would have made the deal.

I took a shot and it worked out.

We disagree. I wouldn't have made it. I'll simply say that once an auction has begun and received bids, I don't think it's right for a person to make an offer, or for a seller to accept one. Sure, it's legal, but sometimes what's legal and what's right are two different things. But someone else can have the last word on this; just my opinion.

Bill

TheMariner

I wasn’t dealing with the daughter. I bought it off a guy who bought it from the vets daughter ... he later gave me her info. She was more than delighted to hear it was being preserved & displayed properly to honor her father. Stop being sore... don’t tell me you’s never made an offer on an auction.

Never made an offer on an active auction unless the item was pulled from sale by ebay and I've only offered on pulled items twice!

Also I dont even buy helmets and would not have bid even if it was the steal of the decade because im not comfortable with them, just seemed shady at least it wasn't the daughter you it from though!

Screamingeagles101

Exactly. He was assigned to Foxy 29 and issued new gear in Lido Beach before heading over to England. After the Normandy invasion, Foxy was disbanded and the sailors were reassigned. I would not be surprised if this helmet was only used at Okinawa. Of course, anything is possible. I am just trying to make a point that just because a helmet is named to a d-day vet, it does not mean it was used on d-day.

I understand where your coming from. As the daughter said, this is what he carried throughout his time in the service.

Also, if you think about it, the heat stamp number is pretty accurate for the d day time frame. I’m not sure exactly when he enlisted but I’m assuming it was in 1943- 1944 being he was 18 when hitting the beaches of Normandy.

Also, if he was issued a new helmet late in the war, I would expect it to be in a bit better condition. This helmet is very salty. I would also expect it to be a later model helmet. Possibly a swivel bail. Just a thought.

Does anyone know what beach and sector foxy 29 was assigned? Very happy to know he was apart of the famous foxy 29.

Screamingeagles101

What kind of technique do you use to contact the relatives? Cold calls via white pages search?

The guy I bought it from gave me the daughters info and let her know I was going to get in contact with her. Texting is what we use.

I understand where your coming from. As the daughter said, this is what he carried throughout his time in the service.

Also, if you think about it, the heat stamp number is pretty accurate for the d day time frame. Im not sure exactly when he enlisted but Im assuming it was in 1943- 1944 being he was 18 when hitting the beaches of Normandy.

Also, if he was issued a new helmet late in the war, I would expect it to be in a bit better condition. This helmet is very salty. I would also expect it to be a later model helmet. Possibly a swivel bail. Just a thought.

Does anyone know what beach and sector foxy 29 was assigned? Very happy to know he was apart of the famous foxy 29.

The Navy was issued Fixed bales up until the 80s I believe.

Screamingeagles101

I just checked out the other foxy 29 grouping

P.A. Kurtz

Very cool grouping. It’s amazing how similar the two grouping are. Both brought home their helmet and harversack. Also cool how both their names are painted across their helmet. Someone said the foxy 29 were issued army gear Incase the invasion didn’t go well & they’d have to help take the beach. Very interesting.

Who knows, maybe the two Corpsman were friends. Apparently Foxy 29 was a tight nitch unit

stealthytyler

Also, if you think about it, the heat stamp number is pretty accurate for the d day time frame. Im not sure exactly when he enlisted but Im assuming it was in 1943- 1944 being he was 18 when hitting the beaches of Normandy.

Foxy 29 was assigned to a large number of LST ships up and down the coast. Most (if not all) Foxy sailors stayed aboard ship to treat wounded for transport back to England. It is unlikely that they went ashore. Beach battalion and army medics were assigned to shore duty. Not Foxy 29. The beach battalions would load up lcvp craft with wounded foe transport to nearby lst, apa and troop ships. Many LST ships never beached until day/s after June 6 due to enemy fire. A lot of them even docked at rhinos offshore. I looked him up on The rosters when this group first appeared on EBay and i think his LST was assigned to Utah beach. Cant remember exactly though.

stealthytyler

I just checked out the other foxy 29 grouping

P.A. Kurtz

Very cool grouping. Its amazing how similar the two grouping are. Both brought home their helmet and harversack. Also cool how both their names are painted across their helmet. Someone said the foxy 29 were issued army gear Incase the invasion didnt go well & theyd have to help take the beach. Very interesting.

Who knows, maybe the two Corpsman were friends. Apparently Foxy 29 was a tight nitch unit

That used to be my group. Sold it a while ago. The painted cross and hand painted name is consistent with period photos and video of Foxy 29. I think I posted some images on that thread of what the Foxy helmets looked like.

Screamingeagles101

Foxy 29 was assigned to a large number of LST ships up and down the coast. Most (if not all) Foxy sailors stayed aboard ship to treat wounded for transport back to England. It is unlikely that they went ashore. Beach battalion and army medics were assigned to shore duty. Not Foxy 29. The beach battalions would load up lcvp craft with wounded foe transport to nearby lst, apa and troop ships. Many LST ships never beached until day/s after June 6 due to enemy fire. A lot of them even docked at rhinos offshore. I looked him up on The rosters when this group first appeared on EBay and i think his LST was assigned to Utah beach. Cant remember exactly though.

Thank you for the great info!

Really appreciate it!

Screamingeagles101

What is the heat stamp number?

Heat stamp # is 632B

Nice group!

My 2 cents: There were no bids when you initially made your offer. The seller declined, and contacted you later & agreed to accept your offer. This gave the seller plenty of time to consider how he wished to proceed. Personally, I don't see any issues with this.

Items like these attract a lot of attention. If there are no bids, and it's a particular item that I collect, and there is a strong chance that others will make offers of their own, then why risk letting it slip away? If the seller agrees, and again, there are no bids, then why not? I don't see the harm. There are a lot shady characters out there, taking advantage of people by offering pennies on the dollar, ripping off family members of the vets. I don't think this is one of those times...

Great pickup. Wish it was in my collection!

Screamingeagles101

Nice group!

My 2 cents: There were no bids when you initially made your offer. The seller declined, and contacted you later & agreed to accept your offer. This gave the seller plenty of time to consider how he wished to proceed. Personally, I don't see any issues with this.

Items like these attract a lot of attention. If there are no bids, and it's a particular item that I collect, and there is a strong chance that others will make offers of their own, then why risk letting it slip away? If the seller agrees, and again, there are no bids, then why not? I don't see the harm. There are a lot shady characters out there, taking advantage of people by offering pennies on the dollar, ripping off family members of the vets. I don't think this is one of those times...

Great pickup. Wish it was in my collection!

Thank you, I had no intentions of “ripping the vets family off” especially considering I didn’t even purchase it from the family. I now have these items proudly displayed in my war room.

I am going to see what she wants to do with the uniforms. If she wants to hold on to them, I will obviously respect their decision.

This thread is unfortunately spending more posts talking about the right and wrong of how I acquired this grouping rather than the actual grouping. Unfortunately itâs no surprise to me anymore.

Thanks again.

Screamingeagles101

Does the family have the liner?

I’m not sure what else they have, they are taking a while answering me and I don’t want to make them angry haha. So I’m finding a little out at a time.

The liner is definitely a question that will be brought up

The Navy was issued Fixed bales up until the 80s I believe.

. No. They were in the system. I found one on the Kitty Hawk, in a rack in 1973. The rest I dealt with for the next 26 years were swivel bales.