E-Bay DFC and Air Medal Group

Nic

I did some preliminary research as to the pilot, including the circumstances of his loss and his connection to the Air Commandos when I first saw it listed. It is a great group, but was amazed as to what it ended at! Am I missing something with this one for it to command that price? (6 different bidders all bid over $1,000 for it.)

post-330-0-32008100-1526007458_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-71116300-1526007468.jpg

post-330-0-49838800-1526007478_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-70993000-1526007487.jpg

smwinter207

Definitely worth the price. The famous Maj Gen Wingate of the legendary Chindits died in that plane crash.

Hodges was flying the plane.

-Potential causes where weight limit issue, explosives they were carrying went off, or mechanical failure. (there was a mention of sabotage, but that wasn't proven)

One author wrote that the destruction of the plane and bodies was severe.

The medals originally sold on eBay on April 29 with a $199 Buy it Now or Best Offer!

Looks like someone just flipped it for a nice little profit!

The medals originally sold on eBay on April 29 with a $199 Buy it Now or Best Offer!

Looks like someone just flipped it for a nice little profit!

::cough:: ::cough:: Dang! I must have missed that one! :D

I thought the group was really cool and figured I was safe with a bid of $400. Then I upped it to $800. And then to $1100...and nope...not even a chance! :D

Having just watched the DNW auctions over the last couple of days where groups were bringing well north of $30k, $40k, $50k+ with fair regularity, if one of those collectors was on the hunt for this group (given the Orde Wingate connection) the final price of this auction is mere chump change...

TheMariner

hahaha Dave you weren't the only one! I was bidding also and knocked out in the three hundreds next time I was on I looked and it was in the eight hundreds and I hadn't seen an end to it yet! I didn't have the time to do the research! What an interesting set congrats to whoever got it!

Yeah, that was definitely worth the money. You just won't find a historically connected group like that every day.

-Ski