WWI 1st Division MG group - 2 Silver Stars and more

mvmhm

A gentleman stopped in last Friday and said he had his grandfather's WWI Cavalry uniform, and would be back Monday. Thankfully he kept his word, nd came back shortly after we opened this morning. The IS a picture of his Grandfather on horseback in 1913, but the uniform shows he was in the 3rd Machine Gun Battalion, Company A, 1st Division. I immediately saw the wound chevron and asked if there was a Purple Heart with it, but apparently a family member may have stolen it a few years back. The man said he had a small box with some other medals, which contained a very nice surprise. First up is the uniform...overall it's in good shape...no rips or tears and with matching pants. Sadly no hat, hlemt or puttees though.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-43895000-1525745215_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-72939400-1525745227_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know what the two strips on dark red backing is??? The strips are made from the same material as the uniforms...my guess is that maybe it's something unique to 1st Division that those who earned the Citation Star wore a strip on red to show that...just a guess of course, so if anyone knows, please let ME know!

post-3423-0-31098400-1525745515_thumb.jpg

This photo postcard is why they thought he was in the Cavalry...although he did serve on the Mexican Border. But I found a reference to a Private with the same name on a roster for Company I, 28th Regiment during that time. Note that this soldier has his last name as V i c t o r y, while his father's name is V i c k e r y.

post-3423-0-64058800-1525745668_thumb.jpg

There's also a small OD pouch dated 06-18 containing two stripper clips of .30 rounds...the label is dated 1920 (which is also the year he was discharged).

post-3423-0-96332600-1525745888_thumb.jpg

This was what was in the small box...his Silver Star, numbered Mexican Border Service Medal, his WWI Vic with 5 bars and his marksmanship badge. The other WWI Vic and lapel button were reissues his family requested in 1992. Included are several original ribbon bars and the split wrap brooch for his Purple Heart.

post-3423-0-94695200-1525746014_thumb.jpg

Nice tunic love the Group. I have a almost identical group just 2nd Division . Great history

Close up of the engraving. So...if anyone wants to hazard a guess about the two strips and/or has access to the 1st Division G.O.s and can look him up, I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Mark sends

post-3423-0-49034000-1525746305_thumb.jpg

Top notch uniform. It looks like he joined up June 25th 1913 and was placed in Company I 28th Infantry. In 1915 he was transferred to Company M. He went overseas in 1917 with Company M 28th Infantry.

post-5941-0-38795300-1525751478_thumb.jpg

post-5941-0-23544400-1525751542_thumb.jpg

http://firstdivisionmuseum.nmtvault.com/jsp/searchresults.jsp

He returned to the US on a hospital ship sailing on November 12th 1918, it lists him as having been a member of Company B 3rd MGB.

post-5941-0-24630200-1525751557_thumb.jpg

The 1st Division did issue Division Citations for men who were WIA, so its probable that one of his Silver Stars is the result of his wounding (basis 1st Div GO 1 of 1920). If you pull his card from St Louis for the medal, it will hopefully contain the citation.

The two stripes should be service stripes (6 years), but the red color seems peculiar. Almost like USMC stripes.

Wow, what a great untouched group...congratulations and thank you for sharing his story!

Mike

That is a Mexican Service Medal (MSM), not a Mexican Border Service Medal (MBSM). There is a big difference in the service required for a MBSM and that of the MSM.

I agree that those are post-WW1 Army Service Stripes sewn above the WW1 Overseas Service Chevrons. I think the dark blue backing has faded or they are the victim of fugitive dye and have turned that purple color.

I stand corrected. And I lifted the edge of the patch and the individual stripes...all the same maroon color, so it's likely the dye changed. I've owned a number of WWI uniforms over the years but this is the first one I've had that has service stripes on them. This sldier got out of the Army in 1920.

Mark sends

• 2 months later...