Searching for my Grandfather's WWII M1 Garand

corpsman5

corpsman5

Not sure if this is the correct sub-forum, but I didn't see any other appropriate place to post this. I realize that I have a better chance of winning the lottery, but I am searching for the M1 Garand that my Grandfather used during WWII. A friend of mine, who is a member here, suggested that I sign up and try my luck here. The serial number of his Garand was 649511. Unfortunately, I do not know if it was a Springfield, or a Winchester. So, if I locate a rifle with that serial number, there is a 50/50 chance that it was his. Never the less, I would love to find either one. (or both... yeah, right!) Both the SA and WRA Garands with that serial number were manufactured in 1942. I also have the number of his Bayonet, which was 434516. Just thought I would put that out there. Anyway, I don't have much hope in ever finding any of these items, but I certainly won't find them if I don't look. Stranger things have happened, I guess. At any rate, I sure would appreciate it if you could check your serial numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

649511 would be a Springfield Armory rifle manufactured in June or July 1942. Good luck in your search!

Don't wish to sound pessimistic, but putting your request here will only reach a finite number of garand owners.....Besides chances are good the rifle was arsenal refurbished and possibly sent overseas.....Who knows than of it any longer exists or it's even here stateside....I admire your desire however and sincerely hope you get a break, Bodes

corpsman5

649511 would be a Springfield Armory rifle manufactured in June or July 1942. Good luck in your search!

according to my limited research, some serial numbers over-lapped. from what I understand, there was a Springfield as well as a Winchester with that serial number.

If it were me and I was willing to take a $25.00 long shot, I'd do this: http://thecmp.org/faq/will-the-cmp-research-a-serial-number-to-see-if-it-had-ever-been-sold-by-the-dcm-or-cmp/ . The CMP is a great organization and has been selling M1 Garands (along with other military arms) for years. There have been a few success stories of ex-military and family memebers finding "their" Garand. Also, if they get a hit and it hasn't been sold yet, you can buy it. (assuming you meet their qualifications)

according to my limited research, some serial numbers over-lapped. from what I understand, there was a Springfield as well as a Winchester with that serial number.

There were three instances during WW2 where serial numbers overlapped. See below.

WRA: 1,357,474 to 1,387,9xx (WRA overrun of SA serial numbers)

SA: 2,415,850 to 2,536,5xx (SA overrun of WRA serial numbers)

WRA: 1,601,150 to 1,640,3xx (WRA overrun of SA serial numbers)

In addition to contacting the Civilian Marksmanship Program to see if the rifle was sold through them in the past, you could also post on the CMP forum for assistance. Its a long shot but you may get lucky.

If it were me and I was willing to take a $25.00 long shot, I'd do this: http://thecmp.org/faq/will-the-cmp-research-a-serial-number-to-see-if-it-had-ever-been-sold-by-the-dcm-or-cmp/ . The CMP is a great organization and has been selling M1 Garands (along with other military arms) for years. There have been a few success stories of ex-military and family memebers finding "their" Garand. Also, if they get a hit and it hasn't been sold yet, you can buy it. (assuming you meet their qualifications)

CMP did go through my mind....I suspect the $25 lets you know what numbered rifles went through their hands, but will they set you up with the buyer?...Have my doubts, but would certainly help let you know whether or not the rifle still exists....

Also, the CMP forum may bear a data base of those contributing their rifle's serial numbers....Only concern again is how readily available will the information be?.....Bodes

Btw, In the link posted, they state files are incomplete...

thanks for the responses and for the advice. I did check with the CMP already. they said that for the most part, their records only go back to 1996 (IIRC), and also that number has not gone through their system. So, I guess I'm just trying to canvass the Garand world with that number, in hopes that I get a hit someday. on a slightly different note... I've never been to the CMP store, but I'm taking a trip there this Saturday. (South Store) I've always wanted to go, and just never have. my dad used to buy a lot of ammo there, but for some reason, I never made the trip. anyway, I'm going down Friday night and staying in a hotel so I can be there early Saturday. I'm not a Garand expert, so I'm just going to carry a cheat sheet list of serial numbers that will tell me the year it was made, and I'm just going to pick out something that I like. anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

Good luck with your search. Where was your Grandfather during the war?

thanks! my grandfather didn't like to talk about the war much, so i don't know much about his service. i do know he was in North Africa, but that's about it.

thanks! my grandfather didn't like to talk about the war much, so i don't know much about his service. i do know he was in North Africa, but that's about it.

Have you tried to get your grandfather's service records?....That might tell you some of the campaigns he was in and his awards.....Bodes

Have you tried to get your grandfather's service records?....That might tell you some of the campaigns he was in and his awards.....Bodes

haven't yet, but it's in my plans.

haven't yet, but it's in my plans.

Just a tip on Army records...

When I tried researching my Grandfather's service, NPRC said his file was lost in the 1973 fire. I discovered that my grandpa had his discharge papers recorded at his local courthouse... I at least got a copy of those. If you don't get a hit at NPRC, you could check at the county courthouse where your grandfather most likely lived when he was discharged to see if he filed his papers there.

Good luck.

Nick

Just a tip on Army records...

When I tried researching my Grandfather's service, NPRC said his file was lost in the 1973 fire. I discovered that my grandpa had his discharge papers recorded at his local courthouse... I at least got a copy of those. If you don't get a hit at NPRC, you could check at the county courthouse where your grandfather most likely lived when he was discharged to see if he filed his papers there.

Good luck.

Nick

good advice... thanks!