Columbia WIA Certificate -- USMC Belleau Wood Gas Casualty

bertmedals

bertmedals
I love the “buy it now” option on eBay because sometimes you just get lucky. A couple of months ago I happened to be doing my daily check when this WW1 Columbia wounded in action certificate showed up as a BIN. I clicked the “buy” button almost immediately as I saw it. I think it had been listed for only a minute or so. Sometimes you do get lucky.
Columbia Wounded in Action Certificate for Private John H. Kastner, USMC.
John Herman Kastner was born in Barberton, Ohio and entered the US Marine Corps in December 1917. On June 8th 1917 he was assigned as a replacement to 96th Company which was serving in France as H Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment.
On the night of June 13/14, 1918, the 2-6 Marines moved into Belleau Wood to relieve 2-5 Marines. 2-6 Marines endured heavy German artillery and gas fires on both June 13th and 14th resulting in numerous casualties among 96th (H) and 78th (E) Companies. Private Kastner became a gas casualty on June 14th. Regardless, 2-6th Marines remained in position in the wood until relieved on June 17th.
It is worth noting that during this action Gunnery Sergeant Fred Stockman of 96th Company gave his gas mask to a wounded Marine whose own gas mask had been blown off by the German artillery. Gunnery Sergeant Stockman remained at his place of duty supervising the evacuation of the wounded and organizing the defense until succumbing to his own wounds. Gunnery Sergeant Fred W. Stockman was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his gallantry that day. One of the platoon leaders in 96th Company during this action was LT Clifton B. Cates who was wounded and gassed but refused evacuation. He was awarded the DSC (1st Oak Leaf Cluster) for his actions on June 13-14. General Clifton B. Cates ultimately became the 19th Commandant of the US Marine Corps (NC, 2xDSC, 2xNavy DSM, 4xSS, 2xPH; commanded a platoon, a company, a battalion, a regiment, and a division each in combat).
Private Kastner was medically discharged from the USMC in April 1919 but re-enlisted in June 1920. He died in 1954 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

post-1496-0-20936500-1525637269.jpg

bertmedals

Private Kastner's entry in "The Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines in the World War"

KASTNER, JOHN
HERMAN,
305718, White, Akron, O.
USMC Akron, O. Dec 29/17. Br Barberton, O. Oct 26/99. Parris Island
SC Dec 29/17; Quantico Va Apr 3/18; 144 Co France May 7/18; 137 Co Mav
17/18; Repl June 5/18; 96 Co 6 Regt June 8/18; Repl June 26/18; New York
NY Dec 30/18; Navy Yard Washington DC Jan 11/19. Champagne-Marne.
Gassed June 14/18. AEF May 7/18 to Jan 11/19.
Disch Apr 30/19. Med Sur. Re-enl June 11/20.
File no 106573-163542.

devildog34

More than half of the 96th and 78th Company were gassed in this incident that lasted for hours. Some 4,000 shells bombarded 2/6's effort to relieve of 2/5 in the woods that night. It was just an absolute nightmare for those guys. Great historic find. Ironically I acquired two Columbia accolades in the same manner both to 2/6 Marines gassed in this incident.

Semper Fi

Kevin

bertmedals

More than half of the 96th and 78th Company were gassed in this incident that lasted for hours. Some 4,000 shells bombarded 2/6's effort to relieve of 2/5 in the woods that night. It was just an absolute nightmare for those guys. Great historic find. Ironically I acquired two Columbia accolades in the same manner both to 2/6 Marines gassed in this incident.

Semper Fi

Kevin

Kevin, thanks for that additional information. I'm always impressed when items from several different soldiers/Marines involved in the same action turn up.

Dennis

• 4 weeks later...