Keep the airways clear...WWII 323rd Signal Co. 20th Air Force

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Thought it would be nice to share this group...picked it off just recently off the forum. Most of you know I'm a sucker for any "oddball" group to the Pacific that is ID'D.

This grouping is to SSgt Henry C/a/p/o/g/n/a from Pontiac, Michigan. Mr. Capogna entered the service August 7, 1941.

The 323rd Signal was based in Salina Kansas until they went overseas in July 1944. SSgt Capogna was the NCO of the company the entire time they were at Salina and overseas. He was also the edition of the "Chicken Coop" the newsletter of the 323rd. Judging by the photos and the newsletters, he was quite the eccentric fellow. Will show some of the newsletters in the photos. Also maybe a little bad luck as he contracted Yellow Fever in Nov 1943 and Cholera in June 1944.

Being a Message Center Chief he was in charge of wing communication. Directed all activities of incoming and outgoing mail, classified mail , radio and teletype messages, and cryptic systems.

He was entitled to 4 battle stars...Japan Air Offensive, Easten Mandates, Western Pacfic, Anti-Submarine

SSgt Capogna came home aboard the USS Haven in October 45 and was discharged from service November 28, 1945.

While not a fighter pilot groups like these are right up my alley and I hope you enjoy this one.

-Daniel

doinworkinvans

Some actual transcripts of messages during Japanese raids...

E32EA30A-9B14-4B26-A42C-D200DD0623EAL0001--IMG_2609.JPG.jpg

CFBE1F96-3270-4F7D-B3AD-5163600A8867L0001--IMG_2608.JPG.jpg

doinworkinvans

I thought I would highlight some of the humor of that time. Some pretty funny articles!

8A8AB7C3-ED3D-4291-9010-726EF908783BL0001--IMG_2614.JPG.jpg

DF92D2B3-342E-40F7-96AB-B88103B95514L0001--IMG_2619.JPG.jpg

doinworkinvans

Thank you gentlemen! Love adding pieces when I can. Thanks for taking a look!

That is a great group, with lots of little pieces to go through! Sure the pilots get all the glory, but guys like this helped win the war too! Nice pick up!