WWII Photo of a GI with 1918 Knuckle Knife

lakenormanusa

lakenormanusa

I was scrolling through photos on ebay and found this one

showing a GI with a knuckle knife tucked in his belt.

post-125711-0-58948400-1525402607_thumb.jpg

lakenormanusa

I was scrolling through photos on ebay and found this one

showing a GI with a knuckle knife tucked in his belt.

attachicon.gifKnuckleKnife (2)_opt.jpg

BTW, during WWII who would be issued these types of knives?

I've mainly seen them in photos of paratroopers.

Government Issue

The 82nd Airborne and earlier parachute units like the 503rd PIR procured a lot of the 1918 Trench knives. The majority of which were left over surplus LF & C manufactured ones that were in government inventory because they were never shipped overseas for use in WWI. However, I've observed some of the AuLion knives in the possession of WWII vets, too. Many of the Paratroopers modified them by cutting down either one or both sides of the guard so it could be worn closer against the body when sheathed. Many also ditched the tin sheaths for current issue or private purchase scabbards. Industrious servicemen had their knives modified by replacing blades or would have custom engraving done on the handles. Soldiers and Marines also would acquire these from time to time but I don't have any information as to how they were issued. If a guy wanted one, I assume he would find the means of procuring one for himself somehow. I know of a USN corpsman that carried a 1918 LF&C knife on Okinawa that was in pretty much unissued shape and even 70 years after he acquired it, the knife still had the majority of the blackened finish remaining on the knuckle grip. That's a great and interesting photo. The knife still has the full guard on it and it looks as though he's using the old tin scabbard. Was there any date on the photo? Looks like he has a Hawley liner so I'd guess somewhere in '42 or '43.

lakenormanusa

The 82nd Airborne and earlier parachute units like the 503rd PIR procured a lot of the 1918 Trench knives. The majority of which were left over surplus LF & C manufactured ones that were in government inventory because they were never shipped overseas for use in WWI. However, I've observed some of the AuLion knives in the possession of WWII vets, too. Many of the Paratroopers modified them by cutting down either one or both sides of the guard so it could be worn closer against the body when sheathed. Many also ditched the tin sheaths for current issue or private purchase scabbards. Industrious servicemen had their knives modified by replacing blades or would have custom engraving done on the handles. Soldiers and Marines also would acquire these from time to time but I don't have any information as to how they were issued. If a guy wanted one, I assume he would find the means of procuring one for himself somehow. I know of a USN corpsman that carried a 1918 LF&C knife on Okinawa that was in pretty much unissued shape and even 70 years after he acquired it, the knife still had the majority of the blackened finish remaining on the knuckle grip. That's a great and interesting photo. The knife still has the full guard on it and it looks as though he's using the old tin scabbard. Was there any date on the photo? Looks like he has a Hawley liner so I'd guess somewhere in '42 or '43.

Thanks for the information! It seems like there would be some serious knife envy going on

once you saw another guy carrying one of these.

I haven't received the photo yet, but once I do I will post anything that

may be written on the back.