Unknown Disney? WW2 Squadron Patch

Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72

Just found at an estate sale with other AAF items present. I'm having trouble finding what unit this might be. Thanks in advance guys.

B.

post-1737-0-18394800-1525295000.jpg

post-1737-0-51985200-1525295009.jpg

post-1737-0-14563000-1525295025.jpg

Leatherneck72

Muchas gracias Bob! I figured you might chime in as you have seen it all at some point in time!

R. Watkins

I think the 87th was with the 12th AF in WW2.

Correct!

The 87thFtrSqdn was assigned to the 79thFtrGp and served in the EAME/MTO with

both the Ninth and Twelfth AF's.

I have concerns about the patch in Post #1. The embroidery is reminiscent of the Taggart repros from the 1980s. All of the genuine Italian varieties I have seen look like this one from my collection. Note the back, and how the embroidery of the wings and arms is fine, not thick and heavy, and the characteristic red backing.

Maybe its how the image was shot, but the patch also looks too small. Mine is over 5".

87fs79fg12aaf-1-400.jpg87fs79fg12aaf-1b-400e.jpg

Bill Scott

I told Rick my suspicions on the patch when I saw the post this morning There is nothing like going to the Squadron Patch Master for confirmation of your thoughts.I notified leatherneck72 that its not right.I have owned about ten of those over the years and Rick it correct everyone of the ones I sold had the reddish backs on them.It is wonderful having so many members that will show real ones when there is a question on any insignia.Scotty

Thought the patch originally posted looked like a Andrew Butler style patch when first viewd.

Plus the stinger for the mosquito is way off compared to the other patches

Bill Scott

The one that started this post is on ebay number 332 639 096 142 with a day and a half to go.Scotty