Robert E Lee signature

I got this engraving with a lot that I purchased not paying attention that it had a signature, or even that it was Robert E Lee. I know nothing but what google images has shown me. What’s you’re opinions? Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhcoleterracina

I like it (but what do I know?) Looks like it was matted and a slot cut to view the signature.

I’m not experienced with signatures but the ink stands out from the rest of the print. Posted Image

Maybe you can tell. There’s a small smear maybe at the top of one of the “E”Posted Image

Here’s the back of the engraving or print. Posted Image

Flashlarue

The signature looks like a part of the lithograph which was engraved into the plate.

I’m sure you’re right. I did a search for an image and found almost the same lithograph. Curious, how can you tell from the signature that it was from the original print? I assumed since the ink was darker and more fine, that it wasn’t from the printing.

Flashlarue

The ink on the signature is even from start to finish. And actual signature done with a fountain pin will have variations in line thickness and tone.

Another way of knowing is to simply run a finger or finger nail across such "signatures" - you will feel it raised, nor perfectly flat or smooth - because the engraving/etching ink leaves a deposit, whereas pen ink or pencil will not.

In cases of photo offset lithography "signatures" - a close examination with magnifying glass will reveal tiny dots where the ink was laid down.