US Navy M1905E1 Bayonet from the USS Bisbee

rd12

I was in Bisbee, AZ this weekend and visited the Bisbee Restoration Museum which is a local collection of items from all eras. Among the few militaria items this bayonet caught my eye.

It was displayed as a Model M1905E1 Navy bayonet. What I found interesting was that presumably the handle was marked to the ship it came from (USS Bisbee). The USS Bisbee was a patrol frigate that served in the PAcific in WW2. She was transferred to the Soviet Navy in 1945 as part of Project Hula. She was returned to the US in 1949 and saw service in the Korean War until 1951 when she was transferred to the Columbian Navy. She remained in Columbian service until being scrapped in 1963.

My question is would engraving the ships name on the bayonet been done on the ship or is this something done later on to commemorate service? Note also the scabbard is marked PF-46.

post-122639-0-79419500-1525129006.jpg

Misfit 45

What a great piece, and great history to go with it. I don't know, but if I were to guess, I would say the engraving on the grip panel was done as a commemorative piece given to a beloved officer or for some other commemoration. Unlike Naval swords, bayonets were not prestige pieces. They were simply Navy property. Not likely to routinely be named to a specific ship. Just a guess. Please correct me if I am off base on this one.

The scabbard obviously goes with the bayonet. The stencil mark may be for a specific Task Organization? Thanks for showing it.

Marv

ParanormalTrooper

Great one, just FYI most Patrol Frigates were manned by USCG crews, including the Bisbee.

I guess that'd make this one a USCG M1905 bayonet?

Anyways, great bayonet

• 2 weeks later...
Papas-Toybox

I've seen a few ship marked specific bayonets and knives on the market recently. Most of those include some provenance with them so they are definitely legit. That being said, it's easy to forge the markings in an effort to drive up the price to collectors. I have yet to see any marked bayonets/knives for any of the capital ships that took part in any major battles though.

• 8 months later...

Greetings all,

Here is a similarly marked variant for the USS Rockford PF 48. Also, note the fouled anchor's marking on the handle on the opposite grip's side of the ship's name. Unfortunately, there's no visible stencil's marking on the accompanying scabbard as viewed in the USS Bisbee's variant.

Upon closer inspection, the standard issue black plastic handles have had their gripping ridges' belt sanded smooth and then the ship's name and fouled anchor marking were applied. You can view the ridges' remnants in the close up's images (second set of images).

Njoy,

V/r Lance

post-31352-0-63162100-1548782169_thumb.jpg

I think these are "Paul Hout"specials. I knew him in the 70's. Superb collection and wealth of knowledge regarding M1 bayonets. I think he and a buddy made these up ....got my USS ATLANTA CL 51 from him. Style of workmanship is the same on all I have seen. Just saying. But, he was a great guy to a new collector, I still have many bayonets I bought from him.

We've got one locally also named to a naval vessel "KEOKUK" it was donated to the cities historical museum when the crew had a a reunion here, and they stated it was stamped on board ship during the war.

I think these are "Paul Hout"specials. I knew him in the 70's. Superb collection and wealth of knowledge regarding M1 bayonets. I think he and a buddy made these up ....got my USS ATLANTA CL 51 from him. Style of workmanship is the same on all I have seen. Just saying. But, he was a great guy to a new collector, I still have many bayonets I bought from him.

Love to view a picture if you still own it.

Best,

V/r Lance

Lance;

I still have it but have a lot of difficulty posting photos. Ancient PC and PC challenged operator.

There some of these floating around and the work is all the same on those I have personally examined.

Homer Brett has more info on these which will, I believe, corroborate my info.

Yr, obdt svt

Al

Greetings all,

Al a.k.a. Tankerman, was kind enough to share images of his USS Atlanta CL 104 bayonet’s images with me in order to post them here for all to view. Al informed me that he has owned this knife from “about 1975.” While the bayonet’s point is the spear versus the clipped type and the scabbard is of the ceremonial variety, you can plainly see the exact same fonts are used on Al’s example. And too, the bayonet possesses the exact same fouled anchor’s logo.

Al stated, in post #8 of this thread, “I think these are ‘Paul Hout’ specials. I knew him in the 70's. Superb collection and wealth of knowledge regarding M1 bayonets. I think he and a buddy made these up ....got my USS ATLANTA CL 51 from him. Style of workmanship is the same on all I have seen.”

Based upon Al’s shared images and recollections, it appears these ships' marked bayonets were some sort of commemorative series made by Mr. Hout and his “buddy” versus anything made/authorized by the US Navy. At least that appears to be the narrative at this point; unless new/contradictory information/documentation is made available/shared.

I would like to thank Al for taking the time and effort to share his images for posting. It’s that kind of selfless effort, which keeps this forum a great source of information for collectors of all types.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. If any member possesses more examples of these bayonets or further information, please feel free to post them or share the information.

P.S.S. Like Al has done, show us, don’t tell us ;-)

post-31352-0-69616000-1549178312_thumb.jpg