USAF SRU/21

rje71

A work in progress, building a SRU/21 to reflect a vest used by F-4D/E Aircrew circa 1973 during operations in support of Cambodia and the Khmer Republic. Extra pockets have been attached as well as the bandolier added to the shoulder area to accommodate extra 38 cal ammo.

Several items still in need of to complete but have been working on it for awhile.

post-2222-0-38523500-1525102233_thumb.jpg

Did you pick up that vest with the extra pockets or make it up yourself? I love projects and items like this. I see the survival kit pocket on the middle left side is a horizontal zipper from a earlier snap pocket 21/P.

Ive never seen an official packing list for a USAF or Army used 21/P's from the late 60s but I did see in a few different Army units that flew the OV-1 packing 2 of the MK-13s in that long middle pocket. The Army 1970 official 21/P -10 mentions nothing of the MK-13 being carried, I guess those went to the actual Aircraft kits instead. Even saw those blue MSA snake bite kits carried in the pocket across from where the MK-13s were. Im going to assume the Army was using AF packed/setup vests before they officially adapted them as their standard survival vest. A friend sent a pic the other day from 1970 showing his vest he wore in the OV-1 had an extra pocket setup similar to this vest.

MohawkAlse,

Nope didn't come set up like this, I was reconfigured to look as it does now :) Hoping to find a radio someday that isn't overly expensive.

I only have one M13 but you are correct their should be 2 for the USAF as well.

Will keep working on it, and I have another Vest project as well is for a B-52 crewman same era but it has the standard pocket set up.

mohawkALSE

Did you just find extra pockets or take em off another vest? Ill be upset with you if you took that horizontal zipper survival kit pocket off a good snap pocket era vest haha Its funny because my 1969 contract snap pocket vest had the survival kit pocket replaced with another radio pocket so it has 2 radio pockets on it. Looking to get rid of that one and find a more pure original setup snap pocket vest with correct pockets and hopefully a 1967 contract. Which radio are you looking for? URC-64 or RT-10? Do you think for the time frame of 1973 they might have been packing a new PRC-90 in the seat kit?

Whats the white packet under the chit? Looks kind of like a MB-2 finger saw package but seems to big. I'll have to post the pic I have of an Army setup 21P from the 1968-1969 time frame that shows its contents. Had a chit like that, EVC chart and I think a panel marker. Do you have a packing list from the USAF of what they packed in the vests from that late 60s early 70s time frame?

Edited with pic attached. This was from the personal equipment shop of a OV-1 Mohawk unit in the 1968-1969 time frame. They also used a Army version of the SV-2 vest which is actually different than the Navy version and eventually turned into the OV-1 Aircraft survival vest.

post-11373-0-93599900-1525208431_thumb.jpg

MohawkALSE,

Would be great to find and affordable URC-64, I will just keep looking will eventually come across one ..:) There could have been PRC-90's as well and I will have to research a bit deeper ..

The little white packet is the MB-2 finger saw just in the original package. Will keep working on filling this vest ..

I don't have anything in print about the vest contents, just years of research and history ..

I did manage to acquire and RT-10 recently so that is a good start .! :) Need to work on a SDU/5 now .. !

mohawkALSE

Did you grab that RT I saw for 45 bucks? I have a mid 60s or so contract RT-10 that was used will in to the 80s by the ARNG. Has a decal from the Springfield, MO AVCRAD when it was overhauled in 1985. The RT-10 batts are harder to find, K-308A. Huge if the radio can be found with one still attached. My good find a while back was my URC-68 radio that still had a battery with it. I still kick myself as the seller I bought that from also had a URC-64, which really wasn't my realm but was only 100 bucks, pretty mint shape with an original battery with it. I managed to get a nice 1970 dated SDU for only 10 or 15 bucks not that long ago. Would like to find an early battery for it with the red cap but also not sure if I want old mercury around if I found one.

MohawkAlse,

Yup, and picked it up for a little less to with a best offer so that worked out great ! :) Will be great to have it once it arrives ...

The SDU I have noticed a few not to expensive so will see how it goes and what else turns up.

I am guessing you are working on Army related aircrew items ?

mohawkALSE

I just saw a 72 SDU go for 45ish or so.

And yes for the most part Army. I originally started with the more recent era of OV-1 stuff aka post Nam, but then as I was able to find parts and pieces to Nam era stuff i started to collect that OV-1 related and some rotary wing stuff. My father flew in Nam 69-70 and the only good stuff he was able to keep after his time in the Active Army and ARNG was old K-2B flight suits and his APH-5 that the Army wanted to get rid of and not take back. Have some cool pubs from him but other than those things from him nothing was ALSE related. Of course the usual fatigues and such. He actually was telling me once that he had the SDU strobe in his vest in the ARNG and used to take it home with him and turn it on in his 70 Boss 302 Mustang and scare people to pull over with it. Real jokester back that compared to his later years.

Ive collected a ton of the more recent Army ALSE and also a few odds and ends for the USAF and even a few bits of USMC/Navy stuff. Working on getting a full survival setup of things for the OV-10 Bronco, which Id have rather to go the USAF way for that but I found a RSSK-9A seat survival kit from a USMC Bronco so had to go that way. Try to find any other OV-10 seat kits, I was lucky. Even the OV-10 at the USAF museum is missing both seat kits in the ejection seats. USAF wise I'm still trying to put together a late 90s early 2000s F-15E setup.

• 9 months later...