Late WWII M1 with T1 conversion and post KW 78th div Liner

Nickman983

Just got this one in the mail, it's a late WWII rear seam swivel bail with a heat stamp of 1197B. It has the T1 hook conversion but is lacking the ball. The buckle strap has unfortunately seen better days but interestingly has an earlier stamped brass buckle attached. From what I can see it looks like the shell was repainted at one point, though I am unsure when that may have occurred. I feel like it may be a post war or KW repaint, but I'd like to get some other opinions. On the inside there are traces of what appear to be the name "ROSENFELD" written on the inside of the shell though, due to the rust on the interior and the fading of the marking,I can only make out *OSE*FELD.

The shell came paired with a post Korean war, pre Vietnam war Westinghouse liner with a 1971 dated sweatband. It uses the web pattern of WWII and KW liners but the cotton webing of Vietnam era liners. I believe I read that these were manufactured from 1960-1964, though I am not certain of this. The liner sports a glossy repaint and a 78th division decal on the side. The 78th decal appears to be placed on top of another, slightly larger 78th decal. On the other side of the liner there is a 311th Infantry Regiment decal that has been painted over. Additionally, there are several holes drilled into the front of the liner, which I assume was done to accept insignia.

Given the condition of the liner exterior and the interior of the shell, I think it's likely that the liner was paired with this shell, but I'm interested in hearing what others think.

post-169952-0-74719000-1524716825_thumb.jpg

post-169952-0-47076700-1524716826_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Think this style of liner was made from mid 50s until early 60s. Looks like it had something mounted on the front of the liner? Nice Helmet.

Thanks for the info regarding the liner, that's what I suspected but wasn't certain. I agree that there was likely something mounted to the front of the liner but unfortunately whatever was there is now long gone.

I thought that might have been the case when I saw the pictures from the seller but I'm not so sure now that I have it in hand. It's pretty off center, I'm thinking it may just be the original paint coming through from where the chinstrap buckle has been sitting.

I will upload some better pictures of that area when I get off work.

The bar on the back of the helmet shell looks to be a NCO or follow me bar.

Just got around to taking a few more photos of the area in question. I've uploaded the full sized files here in case the images are too blurry after resizing them to fit the upload file size limit https://imgur.com/a/G3NgsS2

Thoughts?

post-169952-0-82546000-1524805120_thumb.jpg

magnification of the edge between the "bar" and the rest of the shell. The bar is the upper portion of the image

post-169952-0-36638100-1524805174_thumb.jpg