Q-Knife with artwork sheath

dustin

​An acquisition from today, a typical Cattaraugus 225-Q but with an added personal flavor to the sheath. Luckily the veteran was kind enough to put his full serial number so it was a fairly easy initial research project. Clarence Luvern Chilson Jr. enlisted in June 1944 at Fort Lewis Washington in June 1944. He was 50-years old when he enlisted and was a residence in Portland, Oregon. In the data base it does state he was a skilled mechanic so knew how to work with tools. What is most impressive about the work to the sheath is that the lady is three-dimensional, he worked the leather to really get depth and he wasn't shy about pronouncing the chest area.

post-56-0-99399100-1524443259.jpg

post-56-0-47560200-1524443273.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

50 years old, surprised they even took him in. Was there a cut off point during the war? I wonder if he was a retread from ww1

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I briefly looked into that, all I found was a WWI draft registration card for him but nothing to suggest he was in service. Perhaps some one else can dig something up ?
He did have civilian skills that would integrate in the Army, old man frees up a young soldier. Says skilled mechanics and repairman, motor vehicles.

Dustin-Great research as usual. The gentleman was actually 53 years old in 1944, being born in 1891. Not sure why they would have brought hm on board other than as a contractor, but it was WW2, and times were tough in 1944. Very interesting! I saw documentation years ago on a gent, who was a cavalryman in the Spanish-American war, A doctor, Captain, in WW1, and in WW2 reached the rank of COL. and a doctor. Also, when I retired from the army in 1991 I received orders that stated I was subject to recall until the age of 60. These were rescinded after a few years. But you can serve in the Reserves or National Guard until 60. The current Army Fitness Test has standards for soldiers over 60 years old. So yes, he could have been a soldier. SKIP

Reminds me of a movie staring Edger G. Robinson. Can't remember the name of the film. Also when checking thru service records data bases for WW2 I've seen lots of names of people who's date of birth was from the late 1800's and these were enlisted ranks.