Army Hat Badge

cerick1450

Interesting point, good guess would be that the rolled edge ones with the pin rather than the two pronged nut if seen on a bonafide WWII cap would be a PX purchase, after all there are better quality WWII (Flat faced, not the 50s-60s slightly convexed type) hollow stamped collar discs out there that were presumably PX purchases types, IE non zinc rear backing, but with brass or zinc bars.

As it this example of these matching WWII Tank Destroyer Forces EM discs with Brass bar on the rears.

post-84-1169358919.jpgpost-84-1169358999.jpg

On a side note, I have never seen a stamped TD collar disc with anything but brass bar.

On a side note, I have never seen a stamped TD collar disc with anything but brass bar.

The zinc backed TD disks are out there. (and typically bring more $$$ than the brass bar reverse). I'm sure there is one pictured somewhere on this forum.

There is a flat edge WAAC cap badge shown in the for sale section today.

Hard to tell if there's a hole in the disk for the retaining pin. if there is, that would suggest flat disks were used. If no hole in the disk, would be interesting to see if a small retaining pin was clipped from the back of the buzzard head. Might indicate disk was swapped-out.

post-32676-0-22856300-1524757165.jpg

I agree and thought that its easy to switch backing plates on the insignia

But looking at the sellers photo you see a shadow at the 11 o'clock position from the small pin and using the post as the 12'oclock position you see two shadows.

Just visible above the post is the hole faintly seen but shadowed

• 1 year later...

I originally thought this was a WWII US Army cap device, but I cant find a similar one with the same wing shape. And the eagles head is tilted upwards. Of course there are no markings on it. The brass disc is flat, not rolled. Does anyone have any idea what era it is from?

post-5641-0-18073400-1563473331.jpeg

post-5641-0-76976800-1563473350.jpeg