M43 Jacket of Corporal James D. Slaton, Medal of Honor, Italy, 1943

IKEsaysGO44

IKEsaysGO44

This jacket is identified to Corporal James D. Slaton (ASN 34278962). Corporal Slaton was a rifleman 157th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Division.

Corporal Slaton was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for gallantry in action near Oliveto, Italy on August 23, 1943 (GO No. 44, dated 30 May 1944).

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy in the vicinity of Oliveto, Italy, on 23 September 1943. Cpl. Slaton was lead scout of an infantry squad which had been committed to a flank to knock out enemy resistance which had succeeded in pinning 2 attacking platoons to the ground. Working ahead of his squad, Cpl. Slaton crept upon an enemy machinegun nest and, assaulting it with his bayonet, succeeded in killing the gunner. When his bayonet stuck, he detached it from the rifle and killed another gunner with rifle fire. At that time he was fired upon by a machine gun to his immediate left. Cpl. Slaton then moved over open ground under constant fire to within throwing distance, and on his second try scored a direct hit on the second enemy machinegun nest, killing 2 enemy gunners. At that time a third machine gun fired on him 100 yards to his front, and Cpl. Slaton killed both of these enemy gunners with rifle fire. As a result of Cpl. Slaton's heroic action in immobilizing 3 enemy machinegun nests with bayonet, grenade, and rifle fire, the 2 rifle platoons which were receiving heavy casualties from enemy fire were enabled to withdraw to covered positions and again take the initiative. Cpl. Slaton withdrew under mortar fire on order of his platoon leader at dusk that evening. The heroic actions of Cpl. Slaton were far above and beyond the call of duty and are worthy of emulation.

Slaton survived the war. He passed away on February 25, 1961 and rests in peace in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Laurel, Mississippi.

The jacket is named twice to Corporal Slaton. The first is his Laundry Number, S-8962) above the jacket's label, and the second is his name under the right epaulette. A second name appears twice in the jacket (Haughes).

I am honored to share this wonderful piece of history with you.

Andy

post-141357-0-60725600-1524361259_thumb.jpg

Government Issue

That's incredible he was able to accomplish all of that without receiving any wounds. It'll be interesting to see what else you can find out about him with some more research. Keep us posted on any new info you can find on him. It never ceases to amaze me the places people put their names in jackets. I know of a couple of odd ball spots but under the epaulets is a new one for me.

IKEsaysGO44

As wonderful as this jacket first appeared, after some research and careful inspection, the jacket is assumed to be a put together piece.

Thank you for the comments. I wanted to let everyone know.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

As wonderful as this jacket first appeared, after some research and careful inspection, the jacket is assumed to be a put together piece.

Thank you for the comments. I wanted to let everyone know.

Andy

Markings look like ballpoint pen? Which would mean post-war?