Rock Island Arsenal Experimental 1909 Holster

Dragoon

Just thought I would share this recent holster acquisition, it might be of interest to those interested in accoutrements of this period and holsters in general.

There is an identical holster shown in Scott Meadows' books on page 229 of his first book and page 306 of his more recent holster book. The example in the books is for an M1909 .45 revolver thought to be 1 of 1, this is the same version but made for the .38 Colt. There was an earlier almost identical version made in 1903 (page 171 or 206 later book) both butt to the front and rear, they differ in not having the tie down ring, belt and leg thongs and half moon stitching.

The holster itself is a lovely example of an open top holster, an idea experimented with from 1902 for the .38 in slightly varying patterns, but also for the SAA in other earlier experiments, it shows that the idea was still being experimented with for a few years.

This example is quite lightweight but like all RIA items finely made, it has survived well all these years still retaining the original thong for the belt, interestingly as can be seen it uses a flat rivet something not encountered on regular holsters of the period.

The trigger guard stitching and rivet helps hold the revolver in place, it is quite tight hence I am reluctant to force a revolver so have chosen to show it without.

Experimental items are often scarce but equally if not rarer are photos of them in use, anyone have photos of experimental holsters from this period in use?

Kurt.

post-693-0-01325300-1524340738.jpg

post-693-0-43430600-1524340806.jpg

post-693-0-78799000-1524340890.jpg

Thanks George good to hear form you, yes it was a great find and a welcome addition to some other experimental holsters I have form this period. The condition is the icing on the cake.

Kurt.

crassou54

Hello Kurt

Very scare holster , where have you fine this , i like really .

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Not to be mean, but different patina of belt loop and mint rivets make me think a possible reassembly. Hope to be wrong.

Yes you are wrong, I can assure you that the holster has not been 'reconstructed'. The photo was taken outside therefore the rivets perhaps appear somewhat lighter than they are in reality, they do have some patina.

The belt loop is the rough side of leather so does age or darken differently to the smooth side, in addition you may not understand the construction of the holster fully but the loop and holster is all one piece of leather, not separate as on a standard revolver holster of the period. Going back to the rivets if as you suggested the two rivets had been replaced this would mean opening and replacing all the stitching and resetting the flat rivet at the top. The rivets when taken in context with the rest of the holster match perfectly. I can happily say I have no concerns.

Yes you are wrong, I can assure you that the holster has not been 'reconstructed'. The photo was taken outside therefore the rivets perhaps appear somewhat lighter than they are in reality, they do have some patina.

The belt loop is the rough side of leather so does age or darken differently to the smooth side, in addition you may not understand the construction of the holster fully but the loop and holster is all one piece of leather, not separate as on a standard revolver holster of the period. Going back to the rivets if as you suggested the two rivets had been replaced this would mean opening and replacing all the stitching and resetting the flat rivet at the top. The rivets when taken in context with the rest of the holster match perfectly. I can happily say I have no concerns.

Yes, I'm wrong. I didn't relize that this holster is made out from a single piece of leather while regular M1909 is in three pieces: body, loop, flap.

post-67-0-97574500-1526546566.jpg