Marine Generals Ribbon Racks

12thengr

With the recent strike against Syria ,the Pentagon or Defense Dept. has staged a couple of briefings. The first with Defense Sec. Mattis and Marine Gen. Dunford, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. The second featured a Marine Lt. General whose name I don't recall. Both Marine Generals had an impressive array of ribbons on their uniforms but I was unfamiliar with one they both wore. On the top row of both Generals a colorful ribbon seemed to precede other more important ribbons. Gen Dunford has what looks like a Navy Cross after the aforementioned ribbon and the Lt. General a legion of Honor and a Bronze Star seem to follow. Yes I'm sure that I could easily google or wiki and find some sort of satisfactory answer but I thought that this way maybe other dinosaurs like myself could get an answer to this question. Is there a medal or decoration for bravery or valor that I have somehow missed in the last 40 years?

Thanks very much! Still a bit confused though. Gen Dunford appears to have a Navy Cross ,which has precedence. Is there a reason that this ribbon 'leads the way' so to speak?

easterneagle87

The Distinguished Service Medal (Navy) is Blue-Yellow-Blue, where as the Navy Cross is Blue-WHITE-Blue. From a distance it can easily confused.