• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phil.co1

phil.co1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 108,057
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 11:48 PM

I've come across a rayon brown off duty dress with a few faded areas. I have noticed this on others I have seen so assume it's a common issue. Has anyone managed to dye one of these with good results?
Phil

#2 CombatEng44

CombatEng44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,455
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:32 AM

Phil,

Yeah, it appears to be very common with the brown and I've had some awful ones. I've never had much luck in ANY dying attempt but would recommend using a professional the next time. The value of this dress is definitely there.

The next time I have a problem such as this I have decided to visit our university's Textile Department. They are always interested in vintage material and have the knowledge to make the correct decision. Just a suggestion.Good Luck!

Btw, if you need a belt made for it do so when dying the dress. Easy to make.

Steve

#3 phil.co1

phil.co1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 108,057
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:14 AM

Thanks Steve,
I'll phone around see if I can find a professional to attempt it. Fortunately I have the belt. Seems strange that it won't take the dye as it's only rayon.

#4 CombatEng44

CombatEng44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,455
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

It will "take" the dye but sometimes will slightly change the color of the faded area AND the other material color leaving still two different colors if that makes sense. i wonder if ALL the material can be given a "base" dye first and then everything dyed the correct color. Man, I'm just guessing here. My only experience is working with stains on wood and it's better to do a few things to the wood before staining it. 

However, I DID date a girl in college who majored in Textiles.............

Let us know how it all turns out, please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)