Lauri Törni AKA Larry Thorne Uniforms?

Adrian6256

Good Afternoon, I am wanting to read the best Biography on Finnish Soldier/SS Officer/ Special Forces/ MACV-SOG Soldier Larry Thorne. I know many of you are familiar with his stories, and I would like some suggestions on any good quality biographies on the topic.

My second question is, are there any uniforms of his displayed anywhere in the world? Id love to know more about if his items are available for viewing or if they are in private collections or with the family.

One final thought of mine is, Im intrigued by the fact that a man who once wore a SS Uniform is Buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Thank for your time, and any comments or info would be appreciated.

post-158668-0-96453800-1523644725_thumb.jpg

post-158668-0-84385800-1523645798.jpg

The Mannerheim Museum in Helsinki obviously has a whole section dedicated to him. The best books on him are in Finnish unfortunately. However, Under Three flags is a decent book. Larry Thorne wasnt unique by any means going to the SS Junkerschule. There were many foreign officers who attended. There are also a handful of Lodge Act guys who were early joiners to Special Forces that had served in the German Army or SS.

Another interesting Arlington note is that Thorne is buried with his Vietnamese counterparts in the same grave.

I am friends with his Team Sergeant from early on in Tolz. I also spoke with some guys who went over to Helsinki for the dedication and allegedly the family had sold his uniforms to a private collector.

The Mannerheim Museum in Helsinki obviously has a whole section dedicated to him. The best books on him are in Finnish unfortunately. However, Under Three flags is a decent book. Larry Thorne wasnt unique by any means going to the SS Junkerschule. There were many foreign officers who attended. There are also a handful of Lodge Act guys who were early joiners to Special Forces that had served in the German Army or SS.

Another interesting Arlington note is that Thorne is buried with his Vietnamese counterparts in the same grave.

I am friends with his Team Sergeant from early on in Tolz. I also spoke with some guys who went over to Helsinki for the dedication and allegedly the family had sold his uniforms to a private collector.

Thanks so much for the info! Fascinating to know that his uniforms are out there.

The son of a Don Cossack colonel of the XV SS Cossack Cavalry Corps was a marine in Vietnam.

This is Interesting! I did some reading online, I did not know this.

Thanks,

Adrian

"Shout Lauri Torni's name, a soldier of three armies knows the game..." Soldier of 3 Armies by my friends in the Swedish band Sabaton! I was on stage with them on Feb 26th to present them an award from our Governor's WWI Centennial Commission, its viewable on their Facebook page. Great guys, great band, and keeping the stories alive for the next generation. Scott

Larry Thorne's medals and documents are in the museum in Helsinki. I've asked them if they could provide photos of the medals for my book (I typically like to take the photos myself...but I don't see traveling to Finland anytime soon with my camera gear!) However, I've had no luck with them. :(

This is Interesting! I did some reading online, I did not know this.

Thanks,

Adrian

My american cousins, two sisters, lost their sweethearts in Vietnam. Two Don Cossacks, sons of the Cavalry Corps volunteers. One KIA and the other DOW in CONUS.

Larry Thorne's medals and documents are in the museum in Helsinki. I've asked them if they could provide photos of the medals for my book (I typically like to take the photos myself...but I don't see traveling to Finland anytime soon with my camera gear!) However, I've had no luck with them. :(

forum member Mhk might be able to help you

• 5 years later...

I have Larry Thorne's US Army uniforms that belonged to him. After many people have been interested in him here on the forum, I was finally able to log in to the forum 

photos from Hamina, Finland Lauri Törni alias Larry Thorne 100 years

merkki.jpg

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

The cloth badge in the picture is the emblem of the department "Törni". Törni was the commander of a company whose mission in the Finnish war was to destroy the Russians
parachute men of the troops "Paratroopers"

IMG_3023.JPG

Hopeinen sikarilaatikko, jonka Larry sai lahjaksi upseereilta Bad Tölzsistä vuonna 1962 saatuaan komennon kapteenin lisäkurssille USA:ssa

boxi.jpg

A silver cigar box that Larry received as a gift from the officers in Bad Tölzs in 1962 after receiving command of the captain's advanced course in the USA

manayunkman

Do you have his German uniforms ?

11 minutes ago, JARI said:

A silver cigar box that Larry received as a gift from the officers in Bad Tölzs in 1962 after receiving command of the captain's advanced course in the USA

The tip of the stage of the destroyed H-34 King Bee rotor Vietnam 18.10. 1965 Thorne's helicopter never returned to camp

lapa.jpg

Awesome photos! Thank you for sharing!

Do you have photos of his medals and certificates as well? 

Thanks!