liner with unknow insignia

shifty5580

Hello guys,

here is a new find in south of Belgium, this westinghouse liner ww2 made

It has 2 unknows insignia in dark blue...Someone know it? Maybe a tactical marking or artillery?

I dont think it's a 3rd infantry

Thanks a lot

Bertrand

post-135673-0-08728500-1523565393_thumb.jpg

ArchangelDM

The square was commonly used for shore party personnel.

When shore party personnel landed ashore they needed something to identify them as non combatant units while unloading/loading supplies, bodies etc.

Many of these squares are seen on Navy/marine corps helmets and liners. Ive seen them in Red and yellow, both being on Marine Corps helmets.

Im guessing this could be blue because its Navy

Yours

Dean

The square was commonly used for shore party personnel.

When shore party personnel landed ashore they needed something to identify them as non combatant units while unloading/loading supplies, bodies etc.

Many of these squares are seen on Navy/marine corps helmets and liners. Ive seen them in Red and yellow, both being on Marine Corps helmets.

Im guessing this could be blue because its Navy

Yours

Dean

. I spent my last 12 years in the Navy in Amphibious Assault. Worked with USMC Shore Party, USN Beach Masters and CB and Cargo Groups. All use Red and Yellow squares. Never saw blue.

ArchangelDM

. I spent my last 12 years in the Navy in Amphibious Assault. Worked with USMC Shore Party, USN Beach Masters and CB and Cargo Groups. All use Red and Yellow squares. Never saw blue.

First for me also -

I just cant see why an identical symbol for a shore party wouldnt be for it. Unless the square in blue specifically has a meaning Im a little lost on it also, all the while an interesting topic and something new to me

Yours

Dean

Burning Hazard

I think it may have been a WWII Dutch volunteer insignia, I've seen period photos of them armed with US rifles and with squares painted on the sides of their M1 helmets. Also the liner being found in Belgium could reinforce that notion since the Netherlands are next door.

Aside from that, the only other usage of blue paint in the ETO would be MP or guard units.

Pat

Thanks for your answer,

I dont think it's a marine or navy helmet, it coming from a house far from the sea

Maybe a Mp helmet or dutch volunteer, we never know unfortunatly

Bertrand