Two new fighting knives, Utica, camillus,

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

Picked these up today, has black leather sheath's, anyone know time frame? Are the Vietnam era? Thoughts?post-11207-0-54231900-1523485507_thumb.jpgpost-11207-0-50576100-1523485533_thumb.jpgpost-11207-0-94159100-1523485564_thumb.jpgpost-11207-0-22659600-1523485583_thumb.jpg

post-11207-0-54231900-1523485507_thumb.jpg

post-11207-0-50576100-1523485533_thumb.jpg

post-11207-0-94159100-1523485564_thumb.jpg

post-11207-0-22659600-1523485583_thumb.jpg

Utica around 1962. Don't know how long or how many they made total. Camillus 1962- early 1974 when they dropped the "N.Y." from the stamp.

BILL THE PATCH

Really, how rare? What would you consider a good price for one?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The knives might have come from the same unit that had scratch some sort of identifying mark at the same place on both. When either released or "liberated" the markings were obliterated.

The sheath for the Utica is not the original sheath; it was a tan color that even with age, wouldn't look black. Also, the original sheath had nine rivets, not seven.

Here's mine.

post-11546-0-12469600-1523491267_thumb.jpg

The knives might have come from the same unit that had scratch some sort of identifying mark at the same place on both. When either released or "liberated" the markings were obliterated.

The sheath for the Utica is not the original sheath; it was a tan color that even with age, wouldn't look black. Also, the original sheath had nine rivets, not seven.

Here's mine.

Didn't Utica have two contracts for this knife, the second contract with treated handle and 7 rivet sheath per Sactroop's post below?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1015489

Really, how rare? What would you consider a good price for one?

Just how "rare" I don't know but try to buy another one and let me know how it goes. They don't show up on EBay often at all! The Camillus should have a red/brown color sheath so I don't think it's correct either.

Whether you call them "scarce or rare" is your business but they are VERY desireable! Utica also made a M-5. Try to find one. It's not easy.

BILL THE PATCH

I want to thank everyone for clarifying some points. I'm not into collecting fighting knives , but I might be now. This week alone I've picked up a M-3 second model with scabbard. Now these two. I'm starting to like these things. Is there one book that covers a variety of fighting knives? To learn. I'm feeling addicted already.

Didn't Utica have two contracts for this knife, the second contract with treated handle and 7 rivet sheath per Sactroop's post below?

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1015489

I'd forgotten that the second contract had a dark red sheath with seven rivets.

The Utica's don't show up as much as the Camillus and Connetta's. The first contract Utica was made to the WW2 form including the 9 rivets for the sheath. The darker handles and sheaths are attributed to the addition of fungicide to the leather.

post-17422-0-92301200-1523517098_thumb.jpg

I would not personally call any old GI leather “non-original” based solely on color. Between antifungal treatments, oil application, sweat, use and a penchant for applying black shoe dye at some point in history due to changing regs on acoutrement colors.

Case and point...I could show you any number of “blacked” pistol holsters, either entirely blacked or only the front side, but wIth clear WWII dates and manufacture marks...its 100% certain they started life brown or russet, yet now they are black.

Characteristics of construction, I can’t argue with.

I LOVE the scabbard art on the one blade. Nice pickup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to thank everyone for clarifying some points. I'm not into collecting fighting knives , but I might be now. This week alone I've picked up a M-3 second model with scabbard. Now these two. I'm starting to like these things. Is there one book that covers a variety of fighting knives? To learn. I'm feeling addicted already.

I think the best book to start with would be "The Best Of U.S. Military Knives Bayonets & Machetes" by M.H. Cole. Another good one would be "Military Knives A Reference Book" from the pages of Knife World Magazine.

Also Frank Trzaska's great website: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/

I have found the tan handled Utica in the 9 rivet tan colored sheath the most difficult to find in excellent condition. I don't think I have seen one in years. I got my first one in June 2002.

post-165606-0-81283000-1523540252.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

The person I got these from said that's the person's last name. It reads T. Kill. I'm not sure the story's true, I got from an antique dealer who got it from the son of a Vietnam vet.