VERY Early 306th BG 8th AAF Group Killed in 1945

CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

Remarkable group from one of the first airmen to bomb Europe, S/Sgt and later Lt. Wayne W. Hart who was in the 306th Bomb Group during his first tour and the 381st BG on his second. He began flying missions as an Aerial Gunner in early Fall 1942, completing the twenty required ones and earning three Air Medals. He became a gunnery instructor in England, and was later commissioned a Lieutenant, becoming an Aerial Observer. He flew nine more missions as an officer, for a total of 29. On April 23, 1945, while flying from England to Ireland on R&R, his plane crashed on the Isle of Man killing all 31 service members on board. His two brothers also served in the Army, Lester in the 69th Infantry Division and Gaylord in the 97th Infantry Division.

The group contains a ton of original material from all three brothers to include the following highlights:

-Slot Broach Purple Heart (not named/numbered)

-RARE Air Medal Numbered 59! One of the first awarded in WWII.

-English made Aircrew Wings

-Sterling Observer Wings

-Enlisted Dog Tags

-Four Bomb pins/tags

-Shrapnel pulled out of his plane

-Throat Mic

-Colorized Framed Photo of Lt. Hart

-Large group of censored letters from him to his parents, from both tours.

-Group of Letters from both brothers home

-ORIGINAL Gen. Hap Arnold Signed condolence letter to the family

-ALL THREE 1943 dated ORIGINAL Citation Documents for each Air Medal he received (So early that other awardees on the list include Curtis LeMay and Leon Johnson (MOH))

-Telegrams to family about returning his body to the US

-Original certificates, discharges, promotions, etc.

-Large box of condolence letters and sympathy cards from hid death

-RARE original framed photo of him wearing early Aviation S/Sgt rank and wings with the short lived "AG" letters in the center.

-Original flight mission records

-Original German propaganda leaflet dropped from the air

-Baby photo and baby book detailing his childhood

-Misc. Booklets, papers, etc.

I read through about a dozen letters and he is very careful about what he says due to the censor. I did find an interesting excerpt below written on Dec 22, 1942, where he disregards the censor and says what he wants about the war.

“I am still with the same crew and hope I can stay with them. The censor will probably cut some of this out, but if he does, he does. I have seen a lot of France and it looks peaceful from the air. I frosted my finger a little the other day and they are a little sore but they will be all right in a few days. 42 below zero is a lot of cold. When Sherman said that war was hell he certainly didn’t miss it a bit but still we don’t see the worst of it. You probably read in the paper about what we do and worry about me but don’t worry because worry does no good and there isn’t much to worry about. We are doing a good job on Hitler’s wonderful fighters. I think that he is getting down to the end of his rope but he can still injure us.”

DSCN7228.jpg

DSCN7229.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice grouping, waauw... I see his wing has the blue backing but wasn't that normally done for a Fighter Pilot? Or am i wrong?

doinworkinvans

No, the 8th and 9th alike used the blue back for bomber as well as fighter pilots. The crew of the rest of the bomber would likely use it as well.