Matador Missile---The Pilotless Bomber

superchief

post-1506-0-64301900-1407730537.jpg

I was trying to start a thread for Awkward Family photos, and this one is from my family album.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/216766-awkward-family-photos-and-militaria/?hl=matador

If I had to give this a title, I would call it "Parents of a Nuclear Family".

This is a photo of my parents standing next to a Matador missile that was decorating the grounds of the Martinsburg, PA Regional Airport (Altoona) in 1969.

As I recall, it was painted red overall, with white stripes. This is consistent with the paint schemes used for missiles tested in Florida.

Finding such things at random regional airports was not unusual back then. All part of the"Space Age". Ironically my Dad was working for General Electric's Missile and Space division at the time.

The missile is apparently long gone, with no record that I can find as to why it was removed.

I love these oldies. I remember building these when these were state of the art. I recall one that had stages (I think) and crates for each stage. I can't remember if there was a transport vehicle included.

Thanks to all you folks for the nice comments.

Thanks to Mr. "Attack" for the great photos of the German missile, in my researching the model I never came across such clear close ups...Mr. Burket nice photo, a good number of obsolete jets and missiles found their way to public parks, American Legion halls, VFW posts and main gates at military bases. Unless maintained properly the sheet metal goes to hell, the paint fades and they become eye sores.