Matador Missile---The Pilotless Bomber

superchief

First flown in 1949 the MATADOR missile (MGM-1) was the first US cruise missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. Measuring 40 feet long and a wingspan of 28 feet the missile had a range of 700 miles. Powered by a Aerojet solid fuel motor the missile could reach 650 mph carrying a W5 nuclear warhead.The missiles were carried on a portable launcher and were fielded in West Germany and in South Korea. Referred to by the US Air Force as a "pilotless bomber" 1200 missiles were produced between 1952-1962. The Matador was phased out by the more advanced MACE missile.

The model was a Hawk Model Company released in 1959. The scale was listed as "1/48" but the prime mover is larger than one of my 1/48 Duce and a halfs especially the tires and wheels. I purchased the "remnants" of this kit at a yard sale, it being mixed in with a few tanks and glue bomb cars and planes. The prime mover was missing and the launch trailer had 10 green army men glued to the deck. When I removed them I was forced to re- deck the launcher with plastic sheet. In addition I had to scratch build the launcher arms which were missing. I added the wing carriage (which the original kit didn't come with) and added the jack stands as well as the access doors on either side. The rocket itself was in good shape just needed a good cleaning and paint. The original plastic was molded in USAF blue but doing a little research I found the Air Force overseas painted their units olive drab.

Compared with the Renwal MACE Missile kit, this was very primitive but it was the only game in town when released.

post-162620-0-10699400-1523296292_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

Very nice,especially considering all the extra hand work that you had to do.

Just wanted to add;is the silver and yellow color scheme the one that was used when these were fielded in Germany and Korea?

Your restoration efforts really paid off! This is a really cool model and very well built. Thanks for sharing it.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the nice comment.

As to the color scheme...there are a number of color photos on the web, I judged the schemes to be:

Red Orange for testing early Stateside missiles

Olive drab for overseas

Light USAF gray for display on base

Natural metal silver for overseas with US markings (like a piloted jet plane)

One web site stated that on a (German) base open house the base commander had two of the missiles painted sky blue to impress the local civilians.

I forgot to mention that the missiles were transported without wings in place and the booster rocket carried in another truck. When taken to a launch site it took a while to assemble the missile, affixing the wings, attaching the booster, hence all the vehicles in the B&W photo.

I painted my model to be similar to a German based missile. I think the yellow paint was a "test" rocket the ready crews would train on to keep their "assembling" skills sharp.

The Meatcan

wow, that's a fantastic "save" of an ancient kit. Really wonderful job! Hard to believe that's one of those old Hawk kits.

Terry

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Thanks for the nice comment.

As to the color scheme...there are a number of color photos on the web, I judged the schemes to be:

Red Orange for testing early Stateside missiles

Olive drab for overseas

Light USAF gray for display on base

Natural metal silver for overseas with US markings (like a piloted jet plane)

One web site stated that on a (German) base open house the base commander had two of the missiles painted sky blue to impress the local civilians.

I forgot to mention that the missiles were transported without wings in place and the booster rocket carried in another truck. When taken to a launch site it took a while to assemble the missile, affixing the wings, attaching the booster, hence all the vehicles in the B&W photo.

I painted my model to be similar to a German based missile. I think the yellow paint was a "test" rocket the ready crews would train on to keep their "assembling" skills sharp.

Thanks for that info,that part about the Germans is funny ^_^

Bob H

The missile actuality had a sophisticated terrain reading radar that "read" the earth's surface and transmitted the signal back to the missile. A series of photos (film strip) were compared with the data coming in to the missile. Course corrections were achieved and the missile would find it's pre-arranged target. I'm not sure what the success rate was but the USAF tested them back in the U.S. and they were satisfied with it's operation.

For the "record" here's the entire launcher prior to my "re work".

post-162620-0-03154100-1523397767_thumb.jpg

The launcher tractor was based on the Revell tactical truck, it was the closest modern truck I could find.

post-162620-0-52169700-1523398373_thumb.jpg

Course corrections were achieved and the missile would find it's pre-arranged target.

Sounds like a Tesla.

Is this considered a descendant of the German V1?

Bob H.

To answer your question, yes, in a round about way. Captured V-1's were examined by the USAAF near the war's end and this was the blueprint for the American "Loon" . The Loon's pulse jet motor was considered to be under powered and the size of the Loon was too small to carry an atomic war head. So the American scientists went to work and the Matador was the result.

post-162620-0-46924700-1523411829_thumb.jpg