New update on the ever evasive Solid OD M1 Helmet Covers

36thIDAlex

I’ve looked through a couple of previous threads on this specific topic and thought I’d start a little one here for some new references I found.

I was given a photo album from my grandfather of his time in Korea with the 1st Cavalry. He was stationed along the DMZ from 1960-62 and from the photos I have, it seems the entire outfit was equipped with these covers (at least the 5th regiment). The one photo marked “me” is of my grandfather and the others show men, including a mortar crewman with an odd lighter shade solid color helmet cover that has me baffled, utilizing the solid green covers while doing any sort of field maneuvers.

Just thought I’d add to our never ending quest to pin down the exact use of these things.

I also included some photos of a 1950/60s helmet that I found at a gun show. The helmet sports the green cover with an elastic band and from my attempts to take it off, has convinced me it is original to the helmet. From what I can see however is that the entire helmet shell is painted brown inside and out so if anyone has information on why that is I would appreciate the help.

Enjoy

My grandfather

Posted Image

Mortar Crew 1

Posted Image

Mortar Crew 2 with the odd lighter shade cover

Posted Image

Field Maneuvers on the DMZ after some risky North Korean movements

Posted Image

Close up where you can see the cover and I believe a faint elastic band

Posted Image

I want to say this guy looks to have it too but I can’t really make out whether it’s just the shadows and lighting on him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The helmet I found

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could the “lighter shade” simply be a faded OD cover?

That was my original thought, but every time I look at it, it just seems way too light to be a faded OD. Every other photo shows guys with the newer looking, non faded covers so it makes me wonder, if it is an actual faded OD cover, just exactly how long that guy had had it and why his was so faded from everyone else’s. He also is using a net over the cover so I thought that was a little odd as well.

Sometimes, we like our old stuff...or are just too lazy to bother changing it. If he’s a Sr. NCO or even the Captain, not so many people can make him change his salty helmet cover.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That last helmet you posted from the gunshow is a 1980s helmet when woodland covers should have been standard.

What makes you say 80s? The chinstraps were introduced in 1974 IIRC, and the liner looks to be cotton duckcloth, which was phased out of production in 1969 for the nylon ones.

What makes you say 80s? The chinstraps were introduced in 1974 IIRC, and the liner looks to be cotton duckcloth, which was phased out of production in 1969 for the nylon ones.

You're right, could be mid-70s to 80s, but the inked number stamping on the nylon straps is something I've always associated with late helmets.

You're right, could be mid-70s to 80s, but the inked number stamping on the nylon straps is something I've always associated with late helmets.

I have not seen enough helmets with the ink stamping a to form a solid date range so if you know of any other forum threads discussing the topic, please share. Other than that here are some more photos of the liner that might help identify it.

The seller said he bought the helmet years ago and the liner was originally with it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That liner was rewebbed, the grommet hole and studs for the leather chinstrap are pre-1955, and the sweatband is out of a PASGT.

My opinion on the number stamp is just that, an opinion, based on my experience.

That reworked liner screams recent surplus store put together...my local army navy store has a pile of hodge podge put together reworked helmets for sale just like that sorry to say...still a nice display helmet with some good parts....mike

That reworked liner screams recent surplus store put together...my local army navy store has a pile of hodge podge put together reworked helmets for sale just like that sorry to say...still a nice display helmet with some good parts....mike

Yes, I agree. The liner could be WW2 vintage, but with 60s/70s webbing and an 80s/90s Kevlar sweatband (with the distinctive little loops on the clips) in a shell with mid-70s/80s chinstraps.