USMC circa 1915 Need ID on Cap Badge

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

Anybody recognize the badge worn by the Marine (?) on the left?

Because the men are dressed nearly identically and because the photo was taken on board a ship, I'm not sure if the left hand figure is a Marine or sailor or something else?

Can anyone confirm his branch of service and ID the badge on his cap?

Also a rough time period would be nice, I'm guessing it's around 1915 ... What do you think?

Thanks to all for looking and hopefully, for some information,

World War I Nerd ...

post-5143-0-43663000-1523215617_thumb.jpg

Has on a Marine issue belt.

Did anyone else notice the size of the short guys hands compared to the tall one? Friggin gorilla.

world war I nerd

Thanks to all for replying.

Now that the smoke has cleared and the dust has settled, I think that SgtMaddoxUSMC is correct. It does look more like a USMC cap badge over a band device than a Navy CPO's cap badge.

Does anybody care to nail the date the photo was taken?

• 1 month later...
MurfreesboroMemphis

Did you ever nail down a date? Initially 1915 seemed right to me, but the cover of the Marine on the right seems to be more consistent with the 1917 pattern IMO.

What shoes are they wearing? Would those be the Cordovan Service Shoes?

That's a tough one.

world war I nerd

So far, no confirmed date. You're right about the covers, could be later. I'm not as well versed in the early USMC uniform as I am in the early Army uniforms, so I have to rely on the experts here on the forum in regard to the nuances of USMC clothing.

I've yet to come across any decent images of the so called USMC Cordovan shoe. From what I can tell, the cordovan shoe differed from the U.S. Navy issued "Tan Shoe" (which was apparently issued to USMC personnel) is that the construction of the "heel counter" (the back part of the shoe) was different, and that the Navy shoe had a rubber heel, while the USMC shoe had an all leather heel. Sadly, those areas of the shoe are not visible in this photo.

world war I nerd

Checking the bayonet was a great idea.

It looks like a Springfield Bayonet in a 1903 pattern Scabbard. The scabbard in the bayonet photo is dated 1909.

Bayonet photo courtesy of iCollector.com

Does anybody know how long the 1903 bayonet scabbards were in use by the USMC?

post-5143-0-73253700-1528282192_thumb.jpg

MurfreesboroMemphis

I don't have an answer to how long the scabbards were used, but the 1903 rifle was used by the Marine Corps easily into WWII. Knowing the Marine Corps, I would venture to say those scabbards and bayonets were issued that long to some extent.

• 2 months later...

1911 to 1918. Marine is wearing tan cover that came out in 1908. M1903s issued in 1910/11 shirt is typical of WW1 era with buttons not all the way down.