Photo

Early U.S. Army Missile Lighter (& small group)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 viking73

viking73
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

I picked up this lighter recently that was part of a small early U.S. Army missile grouping.  It's a small Japanese made Vulcan brand lighter.  This one is pretty small - smaller than the other Vulcan lighters I have in my collection which are already smaller than a Zippo.

Looks like the original owner was part of the 84th Artillery, equipped with the MGM-5 Corporal Nuclear Missile.  From what I have read, the Corporal was pretty unreliable and dangerous to it's crew due to the liquid fuel of its day.

-Derek

Attached Images

• IMG_E0671-CROP22.jpg
  • IMG_E0672-CROP22.jpg

#2 viking73

viking73
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,482
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

Here is a shot of the entire group that came with the lighter for those interested.  The Fort Bliss booklet was fun to look at.  It's not dated, but I think it must be very early 1950s.  The post looked a lot different in the booklet than I remember it from the 1980s!

-Derek

Attached Images

• IMG_0674-CROP22.jpg

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,856 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

Nice little grouping. The yearbook is cool too.

#4 Air Force Brat

Air Force Brat
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 220,386
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

VERY NICE, 
I knew they had surface to surface ballistic missiles in the 50's, even nuclear tipped artillery shells. I wasn't aware they had deployed battalions for that single purpose. Awesome find, thats about as old as it gets for missileers. 
From what I could find looks like the 84th ART was part of the 526th missile battalion 1 stationed at fort sill the other in Germany 

Commonly referred to as the WAC Corporal lol
cant find the logo anywhere though. Very nice find

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users