15AF Crew Photo . . . What kind of airplane? B-24M

stratasfan

Got this crew photo scan (I have wings that belong to one of the gunners), and am wondering if someone can help me figure out what kind of plane that is. That nose bubble window looks so different. The plane was called the Flying rump and in the 15th AF.

Thanks for any thoughts! I know I'll probably feel ridiculous with the answer . . . ;)

post-151812-0-87295100-1523108028_thumb.jpg

huntssurplus

It's a b24 with a nose turret modification. I believe they are known as type 2 B-24Ds or Hawaiin design.

That lumpy thing is a D model? :blink: My GGGUncle died on a B-24D over the Aleutians . . . so he would have been in one like that? OK . . . so I said I'd feel silly, and I sure do! Thanks ever so for the help! This particular flyer was stationed in the ETO and I think actually in Italy.

huntssurplus

Well it is just one type of D model, there are 3 types I believe this one being a modified version of the type one to include extra protection for the front of the nose since that was the most common place fighters attacked, a similar thing was added to the b17, except it was a chin turret. Believe it was called the B-17G.

Glad I could help!

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that is a D model with a nose turret conversion. Most of those were done early in the war on O.D. painted aircraft and in the PTO. Those usually had Consolidated tail turrets installed and this one doesn't look to be one of those. I think what you have here is a B-24M, which would make sense as this is a 15th AF bird in natural metal that would put it as a late war plane.