My WWII paratrooper Dad

ABN-ATW

My Dad enlisted in the Army in 1936 and retired as a Sergeant First Class [E7] in December 1964. During his initial enlistment from 1936 to 1939 he served with the 76th Field Artillery of the 11th Cavalry. In 1939 he left the Army and was employed by North American Aircraft until late June 1942 when he re-enlisted. He volunteered for the Paratroops and reported to The Parachute School [TPS] for training. He received his jump wings on 12 October 1942. He was then assigned to Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg NC. He went overseas with the 82nd in April 1943 and returned to the US in May 1944. During his time overseas he fought in North Africa, Sicily and Italy. He made the combat jumps at Gela Sicily and Salerno Italy. He also made the amphibious landing at Anzio and fought along the Mussolini Canal. He was rotated back to the States in May 1944 and from then until the end of the war he was assigned as an instructor at The Parachute School. After the war he remained in the Army Reserve until re-activating in September 1950. He subsequently was sent to Korea where he served in a Quartermaster unit near Inchon. After the Korean War he was returned to the States and was stationed at Fort Hood and Fort Ord. After that he was posted to Augsburg Germany from 1956 until 1959. In 1959 he returned Stateside and reported to Fort Huachuca AZ. In 1963 he was again sent overseas to Mannheim Germany where he served with the 8th Infantry Division until he retired. He passed away in 1991.. Here are a few of the things [mostly photos] he left me with from his time in the service..

post-179000-0-22628800-1522806701_thumb.jpg

post-179000-0-87383000-1522806733_thumb.jpg

post-179000-0-05761200-1522806779_thumb.jpg

He looks like a guy I'd love to have talked with! Very nice! :) Great photos!

I sure wish he was around so I could talk to him too.. :( He didn't talk much about the war, although he did share a few things.. So I'm left to try and fill in the gaps about his time in the army [particularly his time in the Airborne].. I hope this forum can help me answer some of the questions I have about his service.. As permissions allow I'll post up more photos..

Very interesting how he laced his boots in the picture where he is wearing his M42.

Yep.. here's another of him with similar laced boots.. This one was taken in Sicily 5 August 1943..Not sure where.. but I'm guessing maybe Alcamo or Castelvertrano..

post-179000-0-74985100-1522810455_thumb.jpg

manayunkman

Is that his M3 behind the .45?

That's a great image.

In the other picture it looks like he shinned up the eyelets on his boots.

I wonder what sent him home?

manayunkman

In the first picture he laces them up below the ankle.

Then for 3'' or so there is no lace.

After the ankle it's laced up to the end.

I've never seen that done before.

That is an amazing picture of him in his camouflaged M42 and it has worth.

Is that his M3 behind the .45?

That's a great image.

In the other picture it looks like he shinned up the eyelets on his boots.

I wonder what sent him home?

I'm not sure what the selection criteria was to be rotated back to the states.. He did tell me he kept his nose clean and didn't get much involved in the normal shenanigans that troopers were known for.. He wasn't wounded, although he landed on a grape stake lacerating his outer calf on one of his combat jumps.. I believe it happened on the Gela jump and it wasn't serious enough to warrant anything but minor medical treatment.. I think 4 or 5 troopers were selected from his company to return home after Anzio. As I mentioned earlier he was sent to TPS as an instructor..

Great photos & story of your Dad's service. He was one of "The Devils in Baggy Pants". Probably redundant but if you have never read the book by that name by Ross S. Carter it's a must for you as it tells the story of the 504th during the time your Dad served with them. Thank you for sharing. Bobgee

Garandomatic

When i was in high school i convinced my mom to get me repro jump boots in lieu of a class ring. They can be awfully tight in the ankles, bet that's his solution.

Really really cool post.

wow awesome Pics!

Thanks! Here's a few more..

My dad as an instructor at TPS circa late 1944 ~ early 1945.. before and after a 'pay jump'..

post-179000-0-12559100-1522981455_thumb.jpg

post-179000-0-18278200-1522981505_thumb.jpg