Help ID leather gear

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

I picked this up with a bunch of WWI U.S. leather sling parts and pieces but I can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Rob

post-168-0-01146100-1522600689_thumb.jpg

Fixbayonets!

Thank you! It certainly does appear to be and an old one at that. Now I wonder if it has a military connection or is it civilian? No markings that I can see.

Rob

hbtcoveralls

It's a piece of draft horse harness used to convert a pair harness to be used with a single horse

The long strap buckles to the harness saddle and the cart shaft goes through and is held up by the wide part or "shaft tug"

post-26928-0-41640300-1376403653.jpg

Considering that you found it with several Rifle sling parts I would suspect it probably goes with them. It you google freeland shooting cuff you will see several parts/cuffs that are very similar. Years ago he was probably the most common maker. You can still buy cuffs but they dont seem to be of same quality as the old ones. While it could be horse tack it looks too light. Ive seen lots of horse teams but I dont pay much attention to the tack. Ill have to pay more attention.

Fixbayonets!

I did google shooting cuffs and I agree they do look similar but so does the horse tack hbt posted. I wonder if it was horse tack that was repurposed as a shooting cuff? One thing of interest is someone wrote their last name inside twice, something that would suggest personal use.

Rob

While it could be, I doubt it. 30-50 years ago shooting cuffs were very popular but are not permitted in many high power matches today that I know of. Im not a target shooter so that could be wrong. Horse tack is normally a thicker leather so since this is signed and with other sling parts I expect it was part of someones shooting gear. But opinions are just that.