Fort Atkinson SHP Fort Calhoun Ne

jlg74

Fort Atkinson SHP Fort Calhoun Ne

The first US Military post West of the Mo River. Fort Atkinson was established in 1820 on recommendation of Lewis & Clark Expedition. Located at Fort Calhoun, the fort was important to the early fur trade, river traffic and Indian relations. It was a active fort 1820-1827. Living History demonstrations are scheduled May5-6 June 2-3 June 30-July 1 Aug 4-5 Sept 1-2 Oct 6-7 Nov 3 Candle light tour.

History

Fort Atkinson was home to the 6th Infantry and the Rifle regiment. Fort Atkinson had its genesis with the L&C expedition in 1804. After stopping in the area, Clark noted in his journal that the site provide a very suitable location for a fort. More that a decade later, Fort Atkinson was established. It was a large garrison: at its peak, it held 1/3 of the US Army, approximately 1200 soldiers. The fort protected the growing western fur trade, and as the only governmental authority in the vast territory West of the Missouri, it also enforced peaceful relations between traders and Indian tribes of the region.

After the Army realigned its forces to the South, Fort Atkinson was abandoned, and the area was converted to farmland. In 1961 local concern prompted a drive to preserve and restore the area. The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission Purchased the land two years later, and undertook a 20 year effort to reconstruct the fort. Today much of the fort has been rebuilt. including barracks, gates, armorer shop, council house and the Sutlers store. On Living History Weekends you can see blacksmiths, tin smith, musicians, butter making, soldiers, spinners& weavers, mt men and much more.

For More Info

Fort Atkinson SHP

201 South 7th St Fort Calhoun Ne 68023

402 468 5611

[email protected]

post-6252-0-54089400-1522468191_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ParanormalTrooper

I love Fort Atkinson, but alas I have not been to it in years. I do not know how I haven't visited it lately, I live just 5 miles north!

I absolutly love the Washington County Historical Association museum, they have some great relics from the fort. I wish it were a larger museum though.

Thanks for posting, honestly I was surprised to see some local history show up here!

I love Fort Atkinson, but alas I have not been to it in years. I do not know how I haven't visited it lately, I live just 5 miles north!

I absolutly love the Washington County Historical Association museum, they have some great relics from the fort. I wish it were a larger museum though.

Thanks for posting, honestly I was surprised to see some local history show up here!

Make sure you check out our LH weekend. We have a lot planned this year. This is our 1st year of our 3 year Bicentennial