Post-WWI USMC NCO Horstmann USA sword

Bob Hudson

I haven't seen in this in person, just in these photos sent to me today by an estate sale operator.

This is Marine Corps NCO sword "made in the USA" by Horstmann of Philadelphia. The Horstmann logo is circular on this and I've found a few places online where they say that is a post-Word WAR 1 1920's mark. That makes sense because the "MADE IN USA" stamp seems like something that would have been used following the outbreak of WWI and Germany no longer providing US military swords. After the war the "made in USA" mark would seem to say, "Hey, we're still not doing business with the Huns!"

This scabbard uses a leather frog. Senior staff NCO swords of this period used the scabbard with rings and slings similar to officers.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Oh Bob, gimme a break. My wife's ready to throw me out of the house now with my USMC MK2s and you're flashing stuff like this around? It's gorgeous - buy it.

Art

I agree with you on the dating of this sword to the 1920s. These early date post-WWI NCO swords are not common. The Corps was small between the wars, so there were not that many Sergeants requiring swords. Do you know whether this sword has inventory control numbers stamped on the guard and the scabbard drag? How much were they asking for it/

I agree with you on the dating of this sword to the 1920s. These early date post-WWI NCO swords are not common. The Corps was small between the wars, so there were not that many Sergeants requiring swords. Do you know whether this sword has inventory control numbers stamped on the guard and the scabbard drag? How much were they asking for it/

I wish I could afford it :) I gave my estimate to the estate sale lady and she'll price it based on that but I don't know what her exact asking price will be. It's being sold at a San Diego County estate sale starting tomorrow (Thursday the 29th). No other militaria though.

Oh Bob, gimme a break. My wife's ready to throw me out of the house now with my USMC MK2s and you're flashing stuff like this around? It's gorgeous - buy it.

Art

Yep - a nearly 100-year-old USMC sword is always nice to have around the house.