WW1 Students Army Training Corps list

Vincennes

This past weekend I picked up a stack of WW1 papers (memos, special orders, letters, forms, etc.) belonging to 2nd. Lt. George R Wild. They cover a variety of subjects including obtaining replacement discharge papers for a private who had misplaced his. But what intreagued me most was Special Order 109. It measures 8x14" and is 6 pages long. I scanned the first page below. It appoints about 300 men "Second Lieutenants of Infantry, United States Army, for the present emergency" and assigned them to about 300 colleges and universities all over the US for duty with the "Students Army Training Corps". I assume these 2nd. Lt.'s were in charge of the units at each school.

Apparently this was a WW1 program where students could enlist in the service while attending college and receive pay, live in barracks, etc. just like regular soldiers. The program was originally divided into the Collegiate or "A" section and the Vocational or "B" section. This Special Order only applies to the Collegiate section. Upon graduation with good grades they could be 1) transfered to an officers training school, or 2) transfered to an NCO school, or 3) assigned to another institution for further training in a specific line such as engineering, chemistry or medicine. If they graduated with poor grades (or not at all) they could be assigned to vocational training or as a private in the regular Army.

If you would like to know the name of the 2nd. Lt in charge at a particular school ask and i'll check the roster.

Paul

post-2319-0-08863900-1522165773_thumb.jpg

My uncle was enrolled in SATC while at Case School of Applied Science (i.e. engineering) in Cleveland, OH. Any info?

G