USMC - the WW2 camo cover debate

ArchangelDM

Here is the second helmet - a WWII type 2 cover with slits, but no slits on the rabbit ears that go into the helmet.

The EGA on this one is faint, a bit smaller, and has more of the features of a complete EGA.

Paul

post-180255-0-71097300-1543332620_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great photo and link Frogskin7. Looks like the two 1953 EGA camo cover photos posted in this thread are the earliest examples found so far.

Thanks,

Paul

This photo has nothing to do with the slit/non-slit debate, but I thought maybe some members would like to see some sort of hand applied insignia to the USMC camouflage cover by an individual Marine, Not sure what the insignia is supposed to be or represents, but I thought some might find it interesting. The stills are from a newsreel on the invasion of Kwajalein-February, 1944

post-12824-0-66139000-1543856564_thumb.jpg

b4e46b8ee779a69226a3063994a4845a.png

I found the his pic while looking through my old photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool pic Owen -

The one in your left hand beach side out looks to be a repro, you can see the crescent moon. Where some of these film props ?

Yours

Dean

GIJive, Very interesting Kwajalein Feb. 44 photo - certainly something hand done on his helmet. Thanks for posting it.

Owen - I grew up in Barstow, California where one of the Marine Corps Logistics Bases is located. I can

remember cardboard sided 55 gallon drums filled with WWII camo covers, being sold as rags in the

old surplus shop in town. Wish I would have bought a couple hundred of them back then. :)

Did you work on the HBO Pacific series?

Paul

Cool pic Owen -

The one in your left hand beach side out looks to be a repro, you can see the crescent moon. Where some of these film props ?

Yours

Dean

Both of them look like reproductions