USMC - the WW2 camo cover debate

ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM

Dean,

Good discussion and research is how the truth will be found in the end, no doubt. ;) As said, great picture and most worthy to research for the high res original in the archives for further investigation!

Best,

pump 150

Cheers Pump

your research and time spent on this subject is admirable and I respect your logic and effort to more understand these covers.

Yours

Dean

ArchangelDM

Hi Dean, I am with you. This is the best photo so far to show a non slitted helmet cover being used on Iwo Jima.

Just to add to the theory also are two original 4th Div UNIS marked helmet covers in private collections that I know of which are non-slitted. Hope they help the cause!

Cheers Graham

attachicon.gif unis 112 helmet.jpgattachicon.gif unis 311 helmet.jpg

Wow Graham

Now there is some Killer unis marked lids !!

Just a little jealous, and without a doubt help to more understand these covers and there timeline.

Yours

Dean

ArchangelDM

hello

another one from 5 div

unis_119.jpg

unis_118.jpg

unis_120.jpg

waller10.png

photos found on google

olivier

Killer lid Olivier

Thanks for posting

Dean

I've posted this one before but here it is again. We've come to the conclusion that it was Used by the One of the Recon battalions

post-173712-0-12745800-1521917532_thumb.jpeg

ArchangelDM

I've posted this one before but here it is again. We've come to the conclusion that it was Used by the One of the Recon battalions

Excellent lid

That unit marking has been discussed by McDuff I believe

Yours

Dean

USMC-RECON0321

To me, those pictures seem plenty clear of no slits and also several direct WWII Vet acquired no slit covers have surfaced over the years. Until there is 100% proof of a manufactured date on an official government contract of no slit covers either during or after WWII, I feel there has been proof they did exist. Some day I feel the undeniable proof will be found and put this to rest, but until then don't be in a hurry to get rid of your no slit covers.

Troy

Quite honestly, I'm not sure how there is any question that no-slit covers were WWII - or where this notion came from. I've only seen this questioned by one member, in the last thread months ago. Plenty of veteran, photographic, and other reference as verification.

Case closed.

Brian Dentino

I will post pics of the grouping and helmet tonight. They have been posted here before but it was so long ago that they are not viewable anymore. Forgot to this weekend.

ArchangelDM

I will post pics of the grouping and helmet tonight. They have been posted here before but it was so long ago that they are not viewable anymore. Forgot to this weekend.

Cheers Brian

The only information I can conclusively add is that I had a straight out of the estate auction set with a beautiful helmet that had the ega stencil and slits...and the helmet cover was original to the helmet. It would almost stand upright on its own in the shape of the helmet. Rust stains matched up.

The only places the vet was was Okinawa and Chinese occupation at the end of the war. Take that for what it's worth, but I am very confident that was his helmet.

I wish I had pics to share, but I don't believe I have any....I had the group several years ago.

Brian Dentino

Okay, so finally following through on what I said I would do last week. So, about 10 years ago or so I ran across an estate of a collector that had passed away and was able to purchase a LARGE amount of good stuff but knew that some of it didn't belong together but bought it right and for what it for what the items were. Anyway, after being packed up for several years and just now getting some of the collection back out I wanted to show you all the helmet that I got out of one of the foot lockers that I bought from this estate. After looking at the uniform/cap/other items that are named I noticed a few things that I did not years ago. Namely that the uniform has NO name stamped inside attributing it to Marvin Farmwald and neither does the helmet. Inside the footlocker were his papers, which show that he was in fact NOT in the 2nd MarDiv but with the 5th and did in FACT serve on Iwo Jima. Seeing the 2nd MarDiv Alphas that were in the footlocker I now do not believe that they were his. The helmet pictured in this lot was found in the footlocker, but now CANNOT be attributed for certain to Cpl. Farmwald! I guess you could call this learning? Anyway, for what it is worth the helmet WAS found in his footlocker and I do have documentation that he did serve with the 5th on Iwo, then the 6th MarDiv during occupation so the 2nd MarDiv alphas are probably not his unless he would have somehow transferred (which I cannot see in his records) to the 2nd to come home in May of 1946. So, for what it's worth here are the pics I promised with his items including the helmet I found in his footlocker along with a Navy life belt, Japanese police sword, and other personal items. Only thing I can figure is that he may have added (or the collector who's estate I purchased) added the helmet to the group to make it "more complete"? I truly now do not know!

post-291-0-08359500-1522115836_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-00154700-1522115871_thumb.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

These large EGAs on the covers are typically dated to around the Korean War era, interesting

What are you basing that information on? I have a USMC School of infantry graduation photo dated 1953 with approximately 300 Marines all wearing Covered helmets and not one of them has an EGA on it. You can also see a good mix of slit and non-slit covers in the photo.

Just saying, we keep making statements that are hearsay more than anything, but if said enough people begin to think they're fact.

Troy

Here is just a few samples of that picture

post-33000-0-78758900-1522125715_thumb.jpg post-33000-0-43198000-1522125726_thumb.jpg post-33000-0-45572000-1522125783.jpg

Well I have a Cover from a Korean War Vet who served from 1950-52 (and was wounded) and his cover was stamped with that same EGA.

Would love to see pics.

Well I have a Cover from a Korean War Vet who served from 1950-52 (and was wounded) and his cover was stamped with that same EGA.