A Pilot Wing

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Hi all,
Here is a Wing that I'm not sure about,maker ID wise.It is a thick,solid back piece with what looks like a raised "STERLING" mark on the rear shield.No other hallmarks apparent.
After browsing the Wings on the "big three"(WW2Wings,Patricks site,and anaspides.net),I found what I believe to be a close match for this pattern on the WW2Wings.com site here:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/pilot/aecoaafpilotgidhagen.shtml

Maybe this is an A.E Company variant,or a close pattern marketed by another Company?

Any thoughts,opinions,info,etc.. is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Sorry about the image quality.Sellers pic are all I have right now.

post-13386-0-89249300-1521650377_thumb.jpg

I think that the maker of this classic "Adams-style" wing is probably not determinable. They are relatively common (and handsome) wing that is characterized by a rather thick base and this kind of smooth back. I don't want to say "run of the mill" because they are nice wings, but you can see them all over the place it seems. I have no idea if they were made by one or multiple manufacturers, but I suspect they were probably make by more than one outfit considering how common they are out there. I have a few in my collection.

Nice wing, but I wouldn't get to crazy with the price.

Patchcollector

Thanks Costa,Kropotkin,and Patrick for your input and info.I bought it because I initially thought it may be an Interwar piece.It looks quite grubby so I'll probably clean this one up as it looks like mostly grunge and little patina.I paid 55 for it.

Patchcollector

Thanks for the link,interesting thread!Post # 35 has one like mine.Guess they are known as "slick backs".I'm thinking that these may be Graduation Wings?

That isn't a bad price. These "slick wings" with the nice smooth back are frequently used for engravings. I just saw one on ebay yesterday but didn't note the auction. But here is a similar auction for a similar wing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2-USAAF-STERLING-3-INCH-PILOT-WINGS-PB/123010306175?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D50686%26meid%3Dfb012a50e17a410b8964bc3296c38071%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D332582937829%26itm%3D123010306175&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I don't think these wings are interwar. For a number of reasons, but they sure are nice. And while there is no reason that Josten couldn't have made them, I don't think there is a reason why they would have either.

Patchcollector

Yes that one you linked to looks alot like mine.The more I looked at them,the more I thought against them being Interwar period made/used.As for where they came from,from previous posts I've learned that the Wing making/marketing system during the War was confusing at best.

I can imagine that there was a lot of wheeling and dealing going on as companies scrambled to produce and sell Wings to new Pilots and Aircrews.We know some details,but the rest is like a jigsaw puzzle;when info turns up we can put another piece in place and add to our collective knowledge.
I can't wait to get this Wing and when I do I'm going to clean it up a bit and take some decent photos and post them here.

I love that type of wings. I think you will be really happy with them. It's kind of like the Bell wings. And amcraft wings. They are common but very nice

• 1 month later...
skypilot6670

post-137056-0-44514300-1524933277_thumb.jpegpost-137056-0-92526900-1524933520_thumb.jpeg

Picked this up on E Bay. Could be a maker for the slick back wings or another manufacturer being sold by Smilo. I believe the wings are original to the box , the paper browning matches the wing profile nicely. The wing feathering and basic style do not seem to match Smilo wings. Patrick said in another post that he had a set of Meyer marked wings in a Smilo box thus another manufacture being sold by Smilo.I am thinking these are the same , another maker being sold by Smilo as a graduation wing. The AG reference AG 095 (9-30-41) LO seem to be something that the military would use on issued wings. Comments welcomed. Foot note I buy these slick back when I can as these are what my father brought home from WW2.

post-137056-0-15735700-1524933398_thumb.jpeg