Government and In-Country made SSI's

LIFER

I am working on completing all the ground units during Vietnam (Army and Marine) first, then Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. I started out with the original patches. after been given a few made in S.E. Asia, I find to collect those.

Which are better(to collect)? Why do some cost more. Is there a preference? Thanks

Theater made patches are less common, sometimes even look better, and in cases rare. But there are a thousand fakes too one real one. Beware of the Vietnam theater made stuff as old Saigon Charlie still makes it and sells too dealers here who pass it off as original. Even the US WW2 patches are being reproduced. Its money driven. Sad, we have all been stung. There are dealers now that will stich the patch on and rip it off leaving threads in the patch to deceive the unknowing, or sewing it too original cloth and cutting around it, Get some good reference books, Find a good reputable dealer and ask, learn from the experts....

Patchcollector

Welcome to the Forum.In most,(but not all) cases I find the theatre made patches more desirable to me personally.Usually they are harder to find,but not always,as is the case with some US made Army Aviation pieces which were made early in the War.Some of those can be tough to procure.

Cost usually equals rarity.Also a patches' beauty and how elaborately it is made are factors that can come into play.

If you have any doubts about whether or not a patch is authentic,post an image of it here and someone will be able to help you with it.

You'e chosen a fairly large project to tackle.All the best in your search!

For Army, I like the U.S. made twill SSIs that were worn on the jungles. These also display nicely with the twill rank insignia.

Hi 268th C A

Thanks for the info. It's bad that they do that, and able to get away with it. I will search for the book(s). Any one that's best?

LIFER

HI Patch Collector,

Thanks, glad to be on here and for the information. I agree on the theater made ones. Some are very interesting. As for being a fairly large project, you are right. Thanks again, LIFER

Hi BEAST

I think I have one, maybe two. I will have to check. Now, I will keep an eye out for twill patches too.

Thanks, LIFER

• 1 year later...

You need McDuffs books on Vietnam insignia. One was sketches the other has nice pictures.

Check out vintageproductions site to see what nice originals look like.

If you're in Facebook there are some groups you can join with very knowledgeable collectors

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk