USS Ericsson Ship Patch Unknown Era

TCSchultz

This embroidered cloth shield shaped red, white and blue US Navy Ship's Patch named for the USS Ericsson came from a grouping of WW1 and WW2 items recently found in an estate and it's unclear which of the 3 ships named this it's for. it measures @ 4" in height by 3" in width and has a purple back. Any input on era and value would be appreciated and I'm posting another Naval patch that came with it separately which might have some bearing on it's vintage.

USS Ericsson has been the name of three warships in the United States Navy. They are all named for John Ericsson, the designer of USS Monitor and a torpedo that was cable-powered by an external source. More recently, a support ship in the Military Sealift Command has been designated by his full name.

post-17286-0-68707500-1521300261_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-97240300-1521300274_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Interesting (and rare) patch you've posted. I believe it's from the USS ERICSSON (DD-440), WWII era (as was the RN Leading Torpedoman rate you posted which came with this one)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/307358-navy-bullion-rating-rank-patch-torpedoes/

Thanks for the ID on the rating and I would have thanked you but you locked the topic so I couldn't. It's possible that this ship patch is WW2 as it came with a WW2 Naval Officer's Grouping but also came with a prewar US Navy first class rating patch as well along with a WW1 US Army 78th Division Grouping so hard to tell what goes with what.